1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can some one post this "Holy SVT" I hear so much about. What does it look like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 10, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Is it this SVT Classic from the website, or is it something different? If this is it, it sure looks very humble. Who would know this thing here is the holy grail....

SVT-CL_LG.jpg

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    As far as new Ampeg's go, this is as good as it gets:

http://ampeg.com/products/classic/svtvr/index.html

3. Here you go. I do agree they look humble but it just goes to show you shouldn't shop with your eyes. Use the EARS MAN!

Attached Files:

4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Please be careful with that countertop!!! ;)

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If your neighbor needs help cracking his foundation, that
    is your baby.

6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I gotta get one!!!

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yep... it can do the job with SPL, or with its weight alone!

8. RJoHobbs

RJoHobbs

Sep 25, 2006
    after the 2nd retube the magic will be gone,depending on who has to pay for it.

9. 85lbs of tubey goodness, at the cost of your back.

10. I'm sure that people make enough money in 10 years to pay for 2 retubes.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's just a grail-shaped beacon. ;)

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

You won't need your second retube for at least 20 years. Just another anti tubite up there ^ who doesn't know what he's talking about.

13. If you've been playing long enough to actually need a retube, that 20 or 30 years will be plenty magical.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Tubes seriously last that long? Thank god. My KT-88's cost half a fortune.

Holy grail SVT... probably full of old GE tubes, made in the US. I'd go for something with more knobs.

15. +1 re the retube!!!! -1 re the tube-hater, I had a my matching sextet of Philips 6CA7's in my amp for 15 yrs with NOT ONE prob. after about 8 yrs I sent it for a service & the guy just cleaned pots etc... said it doesn't need anything done & that the tubes were fine & better than any ones available at the time(10 yrs ago) for a 'normal' amount of $$ anyway. I went fine til ONE of the tubes bit the dust 6 months ago!!!!! One $60-AUD service in 15 yrs= GREAT VALUE-this is a 200w Aus made tube amp-not that heavy-About 40lbs.built 1978.

Re the SVT-"holyGrail" yep it's simple- simply because it sounds great & doesn't need lotsa EQ-ing etc to make it sound great! As My amp tech says & makes- home hi fi tube amps- with just a on/off & a Volume control= simple pre amp = lets the great sound thru with nothing to clutter it!:D

16. The philips (sylvenia) tubes in my SVT-II had lasted 16 years before they went, but that amp was well used, rented out and used at festivals!

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Amen.

I learned this the hard way: if you take a tube amp in for service and say "maybe I need a retube", most places will just take your money without trying to tell you otherwise. The fact that they gave you a retube does not prove that you actually needed one.

18. What i was taught about SVT's (could be about tube amps in general too)

"Aslong as it isnt making funny noises or funny colours, its fine!"

Which is trueish :p

19. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Belgium
    Image-09.jpg

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021