1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can some please explain to me the difference between these Gotoh Tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheWoodShed, May 28, 2011.

1. I have an Acacia that I am replacing the gold hardware with Black. I want to replace the GB7's with Res-O-Lites. Been racking my brain over the differences between the GB707's, the GB350, the GB720's, etc...

What am I missing here, besides the price differences?

2. ia02

ia02

Nov 30, 2008
    As far as I know...

350's have plastic buttons and are available with the "X-Finish", whatever that is (not listed as having aluminum shafts)
    720's have aluminum shafts and plastic buttons
    707's are presumably all metal? (not listed as having an aluminum shaft or plastic buttons)

3. Hmm...if that is the case I would have thought the premium price point would be for the all metal GB707's. :eyebrow:

4. Spino

Spino

May 21, 2006
    Germany
    The x finish is a gold/brass mix colour ,looks pretty cool .

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
  6. ia02

ia02

Nov 30, 2008
    I think you are correct. Somehow I forgot to mention that. 720's and 707's are not listed as Res-O-Lites.

Which is the premium tuner is a matter of taste: Some would choose the all metal 707 based of it possibly being more robust. Some would choose the 350 based on it being lightweight.

7. Your conclusions are correct. Gotoh's "Official website is back up.

The only "Gotoh Style" tuners in the Res-o-lites are GB350's. The rest are Fender Style tuners.

Like the rest of the Re-o-lites, GB 350's have the plastic button to reduce weight and can also be had in the "X Finish"- a finish that IIRC is guaranteed for life.

The GB707's and GB720 are not Res-o-lites. But like Res-o-lites the have the "Rock Solid" and "Lubriicoat" features.

Basically I think the GB707s are just the next line of evolution for the GB7's.

8. So, I received my GB707's and installed them on the bass. So everyone knows, "Cosmo Black" is the shiny black chrome and not the normal black.

These tuners are of the highest quality I have ever seen. I have no regrets not being able to go with the Hipshots (see this thread for why) and in retrospect was happy I was unable to do so.

There is no wiggle, no move whatsoever with these things. Installation was a breeze. I have Circle K strings coming in, so I will see how the translate to those.

9. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know where you can order to GB720s?