Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CAn some recommend a good fuzz/octaver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by L@ze, Oct 10, 2004.

1. L@ze

L@ze

Oct 10, 2004
    Denmark
    I figured this was the place to ask so here goes:
    I don't know much about bass effect pedals(I play guitar) but I'm looking for a good octaver/fuzz pedal. It doesn't have to be a combo pedal but I would prefer if it was.
    I figured that someone in this forum might have some ideas of what I should go for. Any help would be much apreciated.
    Tnx in advance
    Cheers
    -L@ze

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I just bought a boss ME-50b. The octaver and distortion are probably the 2 best things in that pedal.
    Check it out on the roland web site, you even have a video where they show you what the pedal can do.

www.rolandus.com

3. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    If it's for guitar, look into Captain Coconut II by FoxRox, which also has a vibe section. I haven't played a bass through one though, so I don't know if the low end carries through.

Are you wanting an octave up or an octave down added in? Another pedal (but one I haven't played) for guitar is the Ocatvian by Chicago Iron; the write-ups on Harmony are pretty glowing—I'm trying to find one locally to try out.

If you want to go an octave down, the EBS octave pedal tracks great, but I don't know of a fuzz that doesn't mush out when you have that much low frequency.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    You can't go wrong with the BOSS OC2 octave and BOSS ODB3 bass overdrive. They'll do what you want and there's always plenty on Ebay

5. You should look into the MXR Blue Box, which looks to do exactly what you want to do.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The blue box is a more of a sonic havoc effect... from what I've read the tracking is very random and insane.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    For bass or guitar?

Dropping down two octaves from a basses low B could yeild some problems, I think.

How about a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz?

http://www.analogman.com/blackcat.htm (scroll down for description)
    This pedal is a clone of the rare and valuable MAESTRO BASS BRASSMASTER which was used in the 70s by Yes, Eric Johnson's bass player Kyle Brock, and many other groups. It is a fuzz with an upper octave sound like an octavia, specifically voiced for Bass but working well with guitar also.
    • True Bypass switching
    • AC adaptor jack (Boss PSA/Ibanez style) or internal 9V battery
    • Normal Volume, Effected volume, and Drive knobs
    • Two toggle switches : filter and Harmonic for various tones
    • Fuzz with octavia sound with excellent low end response.
    • Heavy duty steel metal enclosure about 4" x 6.5" and 2" high.
    Ted

8. L@ze

L@ze

Oct 10, 2004
    Denmark
    I would like to tnx everybody for giving me theese various options. To set the record straight I was after a BASS Octaver/fuzz. We're using an old 4-string Gibson ripper bass in our band.
    For the time being we are using a small Zoom multi effect pedal, It's not great and you have very little control of the various sounds but so far it's all we have to work with.
    I know that it's almost impossible to find a pedal that can make a lower octave+fuzz and still maintain the tone but with your posts now we have something to go on, so for that I tnx you all. I will keep you posted...
    Cheers
    -LAze

www.toucheweb.dk