Can somebody help me decide what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brutalmetalguy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Music is the love of my life, though I have been blessed with an amazing engineering talent. I want to go to school for music, despite the warnings of my very conservative family. I like engineering a lot, too... But I really want to have a great deal of my life revolving around music... I cannot decide whether to study music or engineering, and I cannot afford to study both. Can somebody that has experience in studying music, and that knows what kind of opportunities exist for a music major give me a little information? I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I had to make the same choice over the summer, im now studying engineering.

Hey, go for the best of both worlds, be a sound engineer......;)

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Go for the coin! Get your degree in engineering (whatever field). Music is something that will always be with you. You can always learn music after your degree.

:)

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I agree with all above. I'm currently in college getting a degree, but once I graduate I'm off the the collective in NYC before i settle down with a job as a "network administrator" :rolleyes: .

In other words, go with the guarenteed job first.

You can always be in a band in college, no?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm an engineer. I make enough money to buy whatever gear I want. I'm in two bands, and we get paid the same as the local pro bands. Music's pretty much like most other categories in the entertainment business: you have to be the best of the best to make any real money, unless you're a rapper. Then you can suck and still get filthy rich and blow it on drugs, guns, and 22-inch wheels for your ride. On the other hand, you can be just a good engineer and ultimately make enough money.

So major in engineering and minor in music. At least your day job won't be working at GC and you'll have a lot more money.

6. Thanks, all, for your help and info. I will go for engineering, and make it big in my spare time. ;)