Can somebody help me decide what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brutalmetalguy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Music is the love of my life, though I have been blessed with an amazing engineering talent. I want to go to school for music, despite the warnings of my very conservative family. I like engineering a lot, too... But I really want to have a great deal of my life revolving around music... I cannot decide whether to study music or engineering, and I cannot afford to study both. Can somebody that has experience in studying music, and that knows what kind of opportunities exist for a music major give me a little information? I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks.
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I had to make the same choice over the summer, im now studying engineering.

Hey, go for the best of both worlds, be a sound engineer......;)
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Go for the coin! Get your degree in engineering (whatever field). Music is something that will always be with you. You can always learn music after your degree.

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I agree with all above. I'm currently in college getting a degree, but once I graduate I'm off the the collective in NYC before i settle down with a job as a "network administrator" :rolleyes: .

In other words, go with the guarenteed job first.

You can always be in a band in college, no?
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm an engineer. I make enough money to buy whatever gear I want. I'm in two bands, and we get paid the same as the local pro bands. Music's pretty much like most other categories in the entertainment business: you have to be the best of the best to make any real money, unless you're a rapper. Then you can suck and still get filthy rich and blow it on drugs, guns, and 22-inch wheels for your ride. On the other hand, you can be just a good engineer and ultimately make enough money.

So major in engineering and minor in music. At least your day job won't be working at GC and you'll have a lot more money.
  6. Thanks, all, for your help and info. I will go for engineering, and make it big in my spare time. ;)