Can somebody help me with wiring?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by displaced, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Ok guys, I have kind of a problem.
    Over the last few weeks I've worked on my old (actually my first) bass, taking off the chipped/dented color-coat and so on.
    For this reason I had to take out all the electronics. One pot was broken anyway, so I had to take it pretty much apart.
    Now I've lost the wiring diagram I had made.

What I want to have is this:

1. One balance pot to switch between p- and j-pickups or have both.
    2. One tone control for each pickup.
    3. One master volume control.

I don't have much of a clue about wiring (I know how to solder, at least), but I made up this diagram from other wiring examples.

Could you please check this diagram and tell me if anything is wrong (I'm actually pretty sure something is...) and how to do the missing connections?
    I've tried to make the diagram as clear as possible, though I don't know the proper technical symbols.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ok, I took some more time and read up on a few things, mailed my brother, and I guess now it is almost correct.

Just have to figure out the balance pot: it has six "tabs" (or whatever they're called).

3. Hello Displaced.

Your volume pot wiring is incorrect if the circuit calls for the traditional way of doing it.

The signal input from the tone controls would go @ one end of the volume pot, whilst the ground / shield goes @ the other. You then take the output from the centre (called the wiper) of the volume pot. From your second diagram that means swapping over the orange and green wires.

For more info / general interest, gives all the wiring diagrams for Fenders. The Rickenbacker site does likewise for their instruments.

Rockin John