Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can somebody measure their Lakland MM pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schwinn, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I want to use a 5 string Lakland Bart MM but I'm not sure it's the right size...Can someone tell me if it is....

...4.6" (117 mm) x 1.9" (48mm).

[​IMG]

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    BTW, the website verifies that the string spacing is what I need (19mm) but doesn't give the specific dimensions of the pickup. And as far as I can tell, this pickup is made especially for Lakland and can't be bought off the shelf from a bart dealer.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, I have one on the way from Dan.. Hope it fits. *crosses fingers*

4. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    You cant buy one from Bart? Guitar Electronics.com sells A 5 string Musicman Pickups in the 4 shape that looks exactly the same. Are they infact different?

P.S. I want to get the electronics setup that Lakland uses in my Traben, The pickups combo is the same and I believe the measurements may be the same. All I believe I have to do is drill a hole for the slap switch or leave it out.

Does Lakland sell their pickups?

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    From the guitar electronics site...for the Bartolini MM5CBC

[​IMG]

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    In the Bart catalogue, that's the drawing they give for the 4 string.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Bart catalogue shows the DL "Long Stingray" to be 117 x 48mm

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im sorry, must be a bad pic on the guitar electronics site then...My apologys

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The pickup that Lakland uses is for wide string spacing 5's. That off the shelf 5 string MM is made to fit Stingrays and won't fit my bass. The DL long stingray pickup is the size I need but according to the guy at bestbassgear.com they don't sell it (at least anymore). Dan Lakin is selling me one out of the kindness of his heart, but he doesn't usually do that. He said that the bart pickup cover for his MM pickup is made especially for Lakland and can't be bought off the shelf from a Bart dealer.

10. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Thats very kind of him to do that. You'll have to post a soundclip of how it sounds. I really love the MM/J config onmy traben but I find the sound of the electronics to be somewhat cheap and the preamp is some off the wall brand I have never heard of. I also cant seem to find just a Long J-Style pickup sold by Bartolini. Would I have to buy a set and just swap one out?

My pickup config ont he traben looks so much simmmilar to the lakland config and I love the sounds lakland's produce. I know sound from a bass also comes from the wood and I like the sound of my traben, but I really am dying to try out the lakland combo on my traben. Does anyone know where I can buy the pickups/preamp system I would need???

11. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    long J is from the 57J set. It's one of the few that will fit American Fender J5 or Schecter Model T-5(I just put a set of Fender Noiseless in my Schecter).

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a Bart 59JL in my bass, the L is for "long" (bridge size) and I bought it through an ordinary bart dealer as a single pickup (didn't have to buy a set). As for the preamp, the Bart NTMB is the standard one most people use.