Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can someone explain daisy chaining and bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bradymccluer, Apr 1, 2003.

1. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    Is there any websites I can go to to get info on bi-amping or daisy chaining. I have no clue what eith means but i'd like to find out

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Daisy-chaining:

You hook up a cab to an amp, and then hook ANOTHER cab to the first one. Now you've daisy-chained those two cabs.
    The cabs now run in parallel, meaning that when you have two 8 ohm cabs, the amp now "sees" a 4 ohm load.

Bi-amping:

A cross-over circuit sends the upper range signal to one (channel of an) amp, and the lower range to another.

Now you can use a subwoofer for the lows and a midrange driver/tweeter combination for the mids/highs.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Question about daisy-chaining:

Are there any caveats about daisy chaining cabs (both 8ohm) with a Speakon-to-1/4" cable? This would still achieve a 4 ohm impedence, correct? I ask because one of my cabs doesn't have a Speakon jack...

Thanks!

4. It's fine. Just make sure the speakon is connected at the 1+ and 1- terminals or your cable won't work.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Thanks Psycho Bass!

-Aram

6. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    ok i have another question. what is a Speakon jack? i have a primitive cabinet so i'm not sure.