1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone explain "expired license plate"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, May 3, 2010.

1. When I watch US cop shows or those "World's Wildest..." videos I often hear them say that the car has "expired license plates". Can someone explain what that means please? In the UK registration plates on the car don't expire, but car tax (displayed on a disc on the windscreen) has to be renewed periodically. Is it a similar idea?

I've wondered about this virtually every time I've seen it on TV, so if someone could explain that would be great!

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    they didn't renew their registration and get new plate stickers....

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Similar. When you register your car you get new tags and registration. You have to register the car every year. The License plate stays the same though. Sometimes registration requires that you pass a smog check as well (at least in California it does).

4. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Its virtually the same thing you guys have. We pay a registration tax for new tags or a new plate. And when the plate isn't up to date, that's when they get stopped.

5. yes, the plates don't actually expire. The registration sticker on the plate expires.....
    It is just easier to say "expired plates", instead of "expired registration sticker"

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I always say 'expired tags' its shorter than both.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    no it's not. syllable-wise...:D

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, but we all know the key to saving time & space is character count!