Can Someone Explain Tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasper383, Feb 24, 2006.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I see often remarked that different strings exert different tension, even as far as same gauge, different brand. How is this?

How can a .105 DR tuned to E be a different tension from a D'Addario .105 tuned to E. Same gauge, same pitch, right?. How can there be different tension?
  2. I get these headaches from all the !#@$%# salesmen at my freakin' dealership!

Usually taking some Alka-Seltzer helps.

...and BTW, the core wire of a string determines it's tension... usually hex cores have more tension than round cores.. and of course, a bigger string of the same type will also have more tension
  3. It's not the thickness of the string, but the mass of the string. If one of the strings has more mass per inch than the other than it will require a little more tension to bring it up to pitch. The construction of the string influences that. One string might have more air space in it.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mass is important. That is why flats are generally higher tension, and more expensive, than rounds, there is more metal involved since you do not have the gaps between the winds.

The shape of the core can also make a difference. A round core of the same radius as a square or other boxy shape will generally have less gaps (more metal).

Also, some strings use materials other than metal. TI flags use a silk layer to get the tension down and change the tone.