Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Okay, I see all these pictures of people playing bass, and wrapped around the nut, it looks like they have a peice of cloth wrapped around the neck. I've noticed Victor Wooten does it too with his Fodera bass. I just don't understand what it does. Could someone fill me in?

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    A hair scrunchie?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Usually used to aid in muting... started with ERBers... I've noticed people with 5ers using them now.

Ray

4. do you see one in this pic?

[​IMG]

if that's what you're talking about, it is indeed a hair scrunchie and it is used for muting. the more strings you add to a bass, the harder it is to keep them all quiet, particularly if your style is aggressive or if your bass is really resonant. we all hone our muting technique, but every little bit helps!

from the lows,

Stew

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That bass is just silly.

(IMO)

and it looks awkward to play.

6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You know that's Stew's bass? And Stew playing it in the picture?
    Well, I guess you sort of redeemed yourself with the "IMO".

I doubt I'd be able to reach all the strings though. :D

7. LOL

hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions and I think that's great! if we were all into the exact same thing, how boring would our lives be?

yeah, that's my bass and no, it's not awkward. it actually balances perfectly and has one of the most playable necks I've ever put under my hands.

but I believe this thread was about using ponytail holders for string mutes...

from the lows,

Stew

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'm pretty sure he understands that there was absolutely no ill will to my comment. I'm psyched that there's a bass out there for everyone.

I've been playing 4 string for way too long, so's that when I see something with eleventy billion strings it looks like it was invented by aliens.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's cool. I have to believe to took some getting used to the reach on it.

10. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Aliens play on four strings:

[​IMG]

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes, and Bootsy never looked so good!

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Stew, that bass rules!!!!!!

I had to send that picture to a few friends because it was so cool. Hope you don't mind! I know none of them has ever seen a 10 string bass before.

13. well, I played a 6 for about 15 years and an 8 for the last 4 or 5. the big adjustment is in muting. there are actually 2 scrunchies on the neck, one on either side of the nut!

and I don't take any of the other comments as ill-intentioned. no worries.

:cool:

don't mind at all. if I had issues I wouldn't post pics here! thanks for the kind words. I hope your friends enjoy the shot.

from the lows,

Stew