1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can someone give me a full explaination on what GAS is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    is there already a thread on this? i still need a good definition...

2. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    When you really want something.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Basses wanted = Basses owned + 1

It's the tendency to want something badly, even though the equipment you own is already fine. Sometimes related to an idealized sense of the perfect tone, other times it's based on a gear's appearance, technology, newness, or oldness. It's often accompanied by the feeling that you can't afford it, but still you have to have it.

5. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    You know that feeling you get when you see the 2000 dollar bass you cant have. And your really want it. and maybe even loose sleep over it? thats GAS

6. When you want that beautifully worn 60's Jazz in the guitar store, but the wife/gf says you can't buy another bass. :crying:

7. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    ohhh thanks a lot guys!

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    GAS= DSC04516.

9. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    What's the deal with this, did somebody mount the bridge in the wrong spot at one point?

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Talk about a matching pickguard, that thing looks like it's see-through...

11. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Mutes

12. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    GAS= When you have twice as much as you need and only have half of what you want.

13. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    You know how much you want that $7000 Wal or Ritter so much you will sell anything to get one (or both)?

That is GAS.

14. +1...and waste hours surfing ebay in search of the next (15th or 20th) one...

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Gas is a state of matter, consisting of a collection of particles (molecules, atoms, ions, electrons, etc.) without a definite shape or volume that are in more or less random motion.
    Due to the electronic nature of the aforementioned particles, a "force field" is present throughout the space around them. Interactions between these "force fields" from one particle to the next give rise to the term intermolecular forces. Dependent on distance, these intermolecular forces influence the motion of these particles and hence their thermodynamic properties. At the temperatures and pressures characteristic of many applications, these particles are normally greatly separated. This separation corresponds to a very weak attractive force. As a result, for many applications, this intermolecular force becomes negligible.
    A gas also exhibits the following characteristics:
    1. Relatively low density and viscosity compared to the solid and liquid states of matter.
    2. Will expand and contract greatly with changes in temperature or pressure, thus the term "compressible".
    3. Will diffuse readily, spreading apart in order to homogeneously distribute itself throughout any container.
    When analyzing a system, it is typical to specify a length scale. A larger length scale may correspond to a macroscopic view of the system, while a smaller length scale corresponds to a microscopic view.
    On a macroscopic scale, the quantities measured are in terms of the large scale effects that a gas has on a system or its surroundings such as its velocity, pressure, or temperature. Mathematical equations, such as the Extended hydrodynamic equations, Navier-Stokes equations and the Euler equations have been developed to attempt to model the relations of the pressure, density, temperature, and velocity of a moving gas.
    The pressure exerted by a gas uniformly across the surface of a container can be described by simple kinetic theory. The particles of a gas are constantly moving in random directions and frequently collide with the walls of the container and/or each other. These particles all exhibit the physical properties of mass, momentum, and energy, which all must be conserved. In classical mechanics, Momentum, by definition, is the product of mass and velocity. Kinetic energy is one half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity.
    The sum of all the normal components of force exerted by the particles impacting the walls of the container divided by the area of the wall is defined to be the pressure. The pressure can then be said to be the average linear momentum of these moving particles. A common misconception is that the collisions of the molecules with each other is essential to explain gas pressure, but in fact their random velocities are sufficient to define this quantity.
    The temperature of any physical system is the result of the motions of the molecules and atoms which make up the system. In statistical mechanics, temperature is the measure of the average kinetic energy stored in a particle. The methods of storing this energy are dictated by the degrees of freedom of the particle itself (energy modes). These particles have a range of different velocities, and the velocity of any single particle constantly changes due to collisions with other particles. The range in speed is usually described by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.
    When performing a thermodynamic analysis, it is typical to speak of intensive and extensive properties. Properties which depend on the amount of gas are called extensive properties, while properties that do not depend on the amount of gas are called intensive properties. Specific volume is an example of an intensive property because it is the volume occupied by a unit of mass of a material, meaning the volume has been divided through by the mass in order to obtain a quantity in terms of, for example,. Notice that the difference between volume and specific volume differ in that the specific quantity is mass independent.
    Because the molecules are free to move about in a gas, the mass of the gas is normally characterized by its density. Density is the mass per volume of a substance or simply, the inverse of specific volume. For gases, the density can vary over a wide range because the molecules are free to move. Macroscopically, density is a state variable of a gas and the change in density during any process is governed by the laws of thermodynamics. Given that there are many particles in completely random motion, for a static gas, the density is the same throughout the entire container. Density is therefore a scalar quantity; it is a simple physical quantity that has a magnitude but no direction associated with it. It can be shown by kinetic theory that the density is proportional to the size of the container in which a fixed mass of gas is confined.

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Ummmmm.....What Mark said!!

17. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I once woke up my (ex) lady friend in the middle of the night mumbling the words "bass amp" repeatedly.

That's GAS.

18. I woke up at 2AM with GAS...by 3AM and a bit of TP, it was cured...:D

GAS = Groove Aquisition Syndrome
    TP = Tower of Power
    :)

19. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA

Wow.

Most I came to that was having a dream where my family had 2 Wals (one 4 string in birdseye maple and the other a 5 string with Schedua facings) AND that I already had a Ritter Roya 5 in Piano Black.

And then I woke up and I saw my C-4. Granted it's a nice bass, but it isn't a Wal or Ritter.

20. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    GAS = Lusting after a LG5 which I don't need! :)