1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can someone give me a good guide for action adjustment?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by taygunov, Jan 4, 2012.

1. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    I did a short search and couldn't find anything. My bass is always buzzing, if I tighten the truss rod a pinch the first fret starts to buzz and if I relief it a tiny bit then the 12th fret and up start to buzz. cant seem to get the hang of it.

2. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    oh and my action at the 12th fret and up is dumb high and yet the strings still buzz...

3. If you are only using the truss rod to adjust the action, you're leaving some important things out.

Like the saddle heights.

Have you tried adjusting those?

Maybe you should read this first:

http://bassplaying.com/diy-bass-setup-guide

Google (and the search function here on TalkBass) are your friends.

4. Stickied at the top of this page "All Setup Questions Answered here" are links to several guides.

5. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    I've adjusted the bridge as well but no avail, but regardless the link you just posted is exactly what I was looking for. thank you.

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I enjoyed watching the videos someone posted a while back...they were from Lakland bass, and the guy just a simple, easy way about doing it...
    Even thought I know how to set up my basses, and do all my own setups, he was great to watch as a review of the basics

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Use jerzydrozd's guide it can be found in the tech section. Very useful, I also recommend making some radius gauges. I used Fenders guide for years off their site, it's very useful as well.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

9. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    pardon the lack of cooperation from me (and my bass) but i dont get it. the A string is still buzzing. but the weird thing is, even with the action all the way up not touching ANY frets, i still get buzzing. it seems to be coming from the nut! there is nothing loose on the bass that could be rattling so what the hell is it? driving me nut (pun intended)

10. It very well may be (or, to be more precise, the first fret, but because of the nut).

If the string does not have a good break angle as it crosses the nut toward the tuning post, it will buzz when played open. Or, if the nut slot is cut too deep, the string wil buzz when played open.

The first scenario has an easy fix: Wind the string on the tuning post so as to create a downward break angle as the string crosses the nut toward the post. If there is not enough string material to make this happen, the string is cut too short, and you'll need a fresh string so you can put more windings on the post.

The second scenario, not so easy. You'll either need to fill the nut slot with super glue, allow it to dry hard, and refile with special nut files to the proper width and depth, or you'll need to have a tech build you a new nut. I've heard people put something in the slot under the string, like a small flat piece of aluminum foil, but that's a short-term solution.

11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Perhaps the nut slot(s) are not cut correctly. I think you would be best off taking it to a tech to remedy that. Here's something you can try for grins... put a small piece of paper in the slot under the string. Or two or more layers of paper. If that "helps" then your nut is not cut correctly. Remove paper afterwords :)
    Al

Edit: Missed it by seconds!!!

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yeah, if it's a Fender type neck, that A string needs to be on the deck to provide enough tension to hold it still. If that's good, it is likely buzzing on fret one, the nut needs attention. Next if you run a proper setup sequence and it buzzes in some locations, and not others, the frets then need addressing (get it? A dressing) Ain't basses fun?

13. timonvh

timonvh

Oct 16, 2010
    FWIW, the guy that Electracoyote mentions, does not adress nut slot height at all, one of the three first major points of attention in setting up a bass (or any stringed instrument FTM).
    Timon

14. Yeah I googled that and posted it very hastely, just to illustrate the point about "research." In truth, OP really needs to read many set-up guides to get the full picture, they all have different approaches and emphasis.

You're right though, nut slots are one of the most important and most over-looked aspects of a good set-up.

15. One of the key reasons to love the Just-A-Nut3 on Warwick basses. It makes those adjustments easy and reversible compared to filing nut channels.

16. Is that available as a replacement part for other basses?

17. timonvh

timonvh

Oct 16, 2010
  18. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    thank you gentlemen, i will now proceed to carefully place crazy glue into le nut and hope this works. If not, then time to buy a new one.