Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone help me figure out how to wire these pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim Barber, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I'm re-assembling a parts bass for a guy. It's Schecter stuff; he took it apart for a refinish about 15 years ago and it's been sitting in a box in pieces ever since. It's all back together now except for the wiring. He didn't make a drawing of it, just clipped all the wires at the lugs so I can't color-match insulation.

It has P and J pups with a standard vol/vol/tone pot arrangement. Trouble is, there are way more wires coming off the pups than I know what to do with (see photos). :eek: Schecter's site is no help, and none of my other usual wiring diagram sources are either. Does anyone have experience with something resembling this configuration? Thanks :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow, thats an impressive set of wires there.

The only suggestion I can make is maybe one of the extra ones from each pup is possibly another ground of some sort, one not part of the coil. Like how you ground the backplate thingy, maybe they've got the backplate inside the pup. However that still leaves you with another bonus wire on one of the p's.

You could also get the multimeter out and find the combination of wires that results in a non-infinite resistance. That way you've found the two wires that are either end of the coil it should just be a matter of identifying the hot and ground, test wiring.

Josh D

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Pretty good pics bud. I need you to do my ebay stuff.

Yeh, take a meter and start touching wires. You know that if you get continuity you're at opposite ends of the coil and a wire that has no continuity with any other is ground. You may have a coil tap in that puppy, 3 wires coming off same coil.

You're not going to destroy anything (except maybe the amp - so keep the volume low - and use an amp you're not real fond of if you have one) so just strip the jacket off the ends and use wirenuts to pigtails on the pots for connections till you figure it out.

I recently wired a set of Dimarzio DP 126 PJs that had 4 wires on the the one P (and seems like only 2 on the other) but don't remember how I wired them. But I'll pop the hood and have a look and see if I can figure it out.

By the way, for future reference, this should have been under pups. This is woods and hardware mostly.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Broke out the book and looks like you may have something along the lines of a Schec F530T (tapped single coil pup for P bass): one pups listed with red, black, and white wire (the extra may indeed be a ground) and the other pup with brown, yellow, and purple.

The J perhaps being a F541T (tapped single coil for J bass): red, black, and white.

For what it's worth.

5. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Thanks guys, that helps :)

6. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Update: I pretty much figured out the wiring, but it turned out that one side of the P pup was bad (no output). So the owner ended up changing them out for EMGs.

BTW luknfur: what book did you look at to determine the model #? That really helped. :)

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually it was Guitar Electronics For Musicians. Of some use for passive and vintage stuff but was written when actives first hit the market. Guess soon after the author got hit by a Mack truck or something cause it hasn't changed a note in 20 years and is of little use for actives. They could at least change the title to Vintage Guitar Electronics For Musicians, cause it's a bit misleading since it's still stocked in music stores - at least the local Sam Ash carries them.

Actually, you can probably patch that pup up - and it may be worth it. It's these later pups that are dipped in concrete you can't do much with.

That someone interested in such a pup would opt for an EMG is a bit of a 180.