Can someone help me ID these mystery Eminence speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PyschRockLover, Aug 24, 2022.

1. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    Hey all! First time posting here!
    I'm having a hard time finding any information on these speakers. A local is selling an acoustic 106 cab with these white cone eminence speakers that are stamped "13-15" with a date "67-7445."

From what I can gather the 106 came with two speaker variants. One with a model number 15FABA6B and another, white-domed speaker numbered 130040-x(A,B,D).. well this cab doesn't have either of those...just a white coned speaker with square magnet stamped 13-15 and dated 67-7445.. so 1974, week 45... but what is this mysterious 13-15 stamp?

There doesn't seem to be any information on these speakers.
    Although there are some pictures on ebay and reverb of a couple 12" guitar speakers that are tagged 13-33 or 13-18. o_O

I'm really curious about these speakers so if anyone has any information I would very much appreciate it.

I've attached the images below. thanks

Attached Files:

2. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    bump.
    also i made a typo.. i meant 13-14 not 13-15

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If the cab originally came with white capped eminence and these fit the date of the cab manufacture is there any reason to suspect these aren’t original and just a different (earlier or later?) part number?

More importantly how do they sound?

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Those look to be original parts

Rip Van Dan and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    That's a good point. I thought there was a chance that they might have been replaced with era specific aftermarket speakers. No reason to suspect that apart from the fact that they have a different serial number lol.

Im gonna make an appointment to see/test them. will update.

6. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    thanks! I'm going to move forward then. Much appreciated!

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Those could be the Acoustic OEM part numbers. With their speakers sometimes there was also a number on the tag board where the speaker wires connect.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  8. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    any particular reason why they wouldnt be stamped 15FABA6B or 130040-x like all the other acoustic 106 cabs?

beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I don’t know. The company used different speakers, perhaps based on what could be supplied at the time that met their specifications and price.

10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I remember the 406 cabinets to sound OK but don't expect big power handling (like nearly all MI bass cabinets of that era).

agedhorse likes this.
  11. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    That's interesting because I couldn't find any information on the 13-14 stamp but there probably is another stamp somewhere. ...
    Well i'm going to check out the cab later this week so hopefully it sounds good. I have a MKII Acoustic B220 from the 80s and i've been itching to match it with a vintage acoustic cab
    I've seen a couple 406s pop up, but the speakers on one were replaced with 70s pyle drivers and the other one is beat to sh*t lol. I figured a stock 106 would be my best bet.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Sometimes vintage speakers have taken a beating and have issues. Also, do a smell test on the cab. Smoke in the tolex is a deal breaker in my home.

13. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    Seller told me it was a "farm" find and that the cab has been sitting for 30 years or so.
    yeh hopefully everything works okay.. I'm taking an amp to test it out.. obviously if something seems out of wack I wont get it.

Yeh the smoke in the tolex is tough to get out. if that's the case i'll just offer a lower amount. will update later today ;b

14. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    Yeh seems to be two groups. One that thinks they don't have enough power handling and another that thinks they're really powerful cabs lol!
    I've personally never tried a vintage Acoustic bass cab , so I hope it measures up to my expectations lol

15. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    as an aside, "67" is the code for "eminence".

Rip Van Dan and mikewalker like this.
  16. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    That would also mean two groups. Those that have played them and those that haven't but think they are cool!
    I am assuming clear and not distorted bass tone.
    Here's another thread about them.
    any reason NOT to buy an acoustic 106 cab 2x15

17. Back in the day I put Altec 421 8H speakers in mine using an SVT Ampeg tube head. Loved watching those speaker cones jump.
    :hyper:

18. Geogio

Geogio

Jan 15, 2013
    Tidewater
    And you're intending to use the original speakers that came with this cabinet? Even though they're how old? Speakers have things like foam and paper dust covers and all kinds of things that deteriorate over time. I would never buy a cabinet with old speakers and not respeaker the cabinet in fact I would use that as a bargaining chip.

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No foam in those speakers, and if speakers are cared for they can easily last 50-75 years. I have some vintage Altecs and JBLs that are over 70 years old and in perfect condition.

Deterioration generally happens when the speakers get wet, or are stored in a very humid environment for a long time, or stored out in the sun.

Blueinred likes this.
  20. PyschRockLover

PyschRockLover

Aug 24, 2022
    Update: So I got the cab. I was able to test it out before buying, no issues.. got home and spent about an hour with it last night. Overall I'm very pleased with the sound.
    Cant wait to hear how it sounds at rehearsal

Its apparent that the cab was in storage for many years without a dust cover, as it has acquired a considerable amount of dust. I was able to clean it a bit, but will need a deep cleaning..

there is some wear and tear but nothing too major. Doesn't appear to have been from a smokers home.
    I'm very happy with it and it will be my main cab moving forward.

agedhorse and beans-on-toast like this.