1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone help me identify my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gothguy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Gothguy

Gothguy Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2016
    P bass. date123. date 1234.
    I've owned this bass for about two years now and I've never been able to properly identify it. Serial number on the neck starts with S-xxx. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Judging by the stamps on both the body and the neck, it's an '82. Quite a few of these were assembled with necks dating back to the late 70s, sporting an "S" serial number on the headstock.

3. Gothguy

Nov 24, 2016
    So the neck is from the 70's and put together in the 80's?

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes. But "put together" as in the Fullerton factory, not by some random individual.

The bass looks legit to me, and sports a not-so-common colour.

5. Gothguy

Nov 24, 2016
    It's hard to say, I was thinking that it was 1979 for years now, but after seeing the dates I am all sorts of confused. I also haven't been able to find another one in this finish to compare it to.

6. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    No need for confusion, early 80s had nearly sank Fender altogether, and there's a ton of instruments out there which are actually newer than what the serial on the neck would have one believe. They were using whatever leftover parts were available while trying to keep their head above the water.

I believe - but am not 100% certain - that the colour was called Emerald Green.

8. Gothguy

Nov 24, 2016
    thank you for all of the help!