Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone help me identify this Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Does anybody know anything about the model of this Modulus?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Dave

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's not a Modulus, I don't think. There's a company that makes basses with that body style with Modulus necks. Seductive Sounds, maybe? I don't remember, but I know jsonnenblick has one with a paduak body. It's at the Bass Palace now. There's a picture below.

Are you sure it's a Modulus?

Here's the other one:

[​IMG]

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    modulus make replacement neck.
    It's porbably one on a custom body.

4. It could just be a Modulus neck. The headstock says Modulus but it is unlike any other Modulus headstock I've ever seen.

Thanks for the info.

- Dave

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, it's definitely a Modulus neck, but I meant that I don't think it's a Modulus bass, just a bass by a company that outsourced Modulus necks.

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001

:confused:
    What the hell? People actually did that? Why?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It was a joke.

8. It's just a very old one, before Modulus standardized on the current Quantum headstock and body shape--you can see how the beginnings of the current Quantum shape are there in this one.

Somewhere I have an early-80's guitar magazine, with an ad in it for an SWR SM400 and somebody (Louis Johnson?) holding a Modulus very much like that bass.

Mike

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Are you sure? I've seen a couple early early 80's models, including one of Phil Lesh's, that have a headstock and body much much closer to the current Quantums than this one.

10. Yep, I'm sure. I remember seeing photos of Lesh's basses, and other early ones with the symmetric headstock, but I think that was primarily for 6-strings at the beginning--I've definately seen 4- and 5-strings with that headstock.

I also managed to dig up one of the ads that shows Johnson playing an early Modulus, though it doesn't show the headstock or the logo--I recognized it at the time as a Modulus, though, so I'm sure I'd seen other pictures. This is from an '87 ad.

Mike

11. Thanks! That looks just like it.

- Dave

12. I'm not 100% sure, but since my old bass got mentioned, i thought I'd chime in here: I think maybe when Modulus sells a neck, they leave their logo off the headstock (that's how my "Seductive Sound" bass is, anyway). If so, that would make the red bass a real Modulus, although it doesn't LOOK like one.

Another thought: could someone have reworked the headstock into that shape? You always hear that graphite is difficult to work with, but it must be POSSIBLE. . .

BTW, my old bass sounds BETTER than the "real" mods I've compared it with, so don't get too hung up on the "real" factor. I only sold mine because the neck dived too much for my wimpy fretting arm!

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cool, sounds like everything is figured out. Damn.

Jsonnenblick, the reason why I thought it might be something else with an outsourced neck is because I've seen non-Modulus basses with Modulus logos on the neck. I've never seen it that big, though, which is why I wasn't sure. Thanks for showing up, by the way!

Thanks for looking up the article, too, Mike. I appreciate the effort! I was certainly curious.

Hey Dave, what's up with the bass? Did you buy it or something?

14. I found it at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1402061841

and the owner is local. Considering the lack of pictures on the page and incomplete description, I thought I might be able to get it really cheap. It's above $300 now which is more than I would like to pay. The owner is really nice though and needs the money so I hope they get a lot more. I doubt it though considering that it was a 3-day auction and the picture links are broken.

- Dave