Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone help me remember a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Ok, heres the deal,

I was at GC the other day, and i saw this beautiful looking bass over in the corner... one I hadnt seen before. Upon further examination I discovered that it was (I believe) a Schecter Bass (or maybe a Spector. i forget). It had a MM pup at bridge, and a Jazz pup at neck.. and it had active pre.. and a pickup selector switch. it was $550...

I seriously cannot remember what model it was. all i remember is it was vintage series or something. i loved that bass, it played so beautifully. I wish i could remember it...

Any help would be so great. I tried searching around on google but with no luck :(

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a... Spector Legend.

3. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    No that isnt it... the pickups had exposed poles, and the body style was different. it was also a vintage styling. 4 string.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :eek: hmm... Are you sure it was a Schecter/Spector? I dont think ive seen too many of those with exposed pole pieces..

5. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Well I was just as astonished as you are.... I had never seen anything like it in the schecter/spector world.... :-\

6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Ok so I called the store and they said it was a Schecter cv-4... anyone know anything about em?

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Here's the pic and product announcement from HC:

[​IMG]

HC product announcement

Sorry, I've never seen one in person.

8. the only thing i could find was here which just shows a schecter bass with a CB styled body...

9. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    thanks craigb! and everyone else of course ;)

I think i have GAS... :-\ too bad they only offered me $150 for my Yamaha RBX760.. hmph.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Never seen that Schecter before. Yay for Ibanez and Schecter making Lakland - looka like basses.

11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice Schecter! I've been looking for a cool Schecter and the only one that caught my attention (before this one) was the XXX bass, but I don't think I can stand to have naked girl silhouttes on my fretboard (other places are a different matter :D ) Too bad because it looked to be a cool bass. But this one tops it...easily.

This might be a winner. Anyone play it yet?

12. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Well I played it thru a Mesa 2x10 combo... it sounded beautiful and played perfectly. Great action and everything. Lots of tonal range as well.

I want one :(

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What...like mudflaps?

Looks pretty cool! I quite enjoy Schecters, I'm a big fan of the Stilleto Studio series -- 4, 5, and 6!

14. I played one for a bit the other day while I was at GC too. I liked it a lot myself. It was very nice looking and felt ok. I thought it was a bit on the small side in the body, but that's a preference issue. I'd rank playability as average, for me.

As for tone, the Duncan pickups are very nice for the price range, plus it has the Duncan pre, a slap switch, and a string through bridge. IMO the Jazz pickup would kill an MIM Jazz pickup and the MM pickup would beat out a S.U.B. pickup. I only spent a few minutes tinkering, so I can't recall much more specifically.

If I wasn't so in love with Spectors, I'd probably be more intersted in one myself. It's in the price range of a S.U.B. and just a bit more than an MIM Jazz, and I thought it sounded better than both of them, and it definitely has a wider range of tones. However, with only one Jazz pickup, you may not get a true Jazz tone out of it.