Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone help my signal path

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 27, 2006.

1. ok, my settup is pretty basic but i was wonderin what the best way to run my signal was

Right now its Spector->Cry Baby->Small Stone->Amp with the DTR-2000 running in the effects loop

what i would like to do would be to have the effects run on the effects loop and have the tuner in the main signal from the amp to the cab (so that i can mute tune while gigging)

ill also probably be adding a Holy grail to the mix at some point and a BBE Sonic Maximizer is on its way

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think putting the tuner in between the amp and the cab will kill your tuner instantly, and I'm not sure how that would help you mute tune anyway. Well, it would be mute at least. Can you plug your bass directly into the tuner, and run the tuner into the amp's input jack?

Other options:
    -Peterson Strobostomp
    -different amp head, with line out/tune out jack (many have that)
    -your tuner in series with your fx in the loop

Good luck!

3. i can run straight into the tuner yes, and then into the amp.

if i do get another head is there a possibility of, with a head that has a tuner out, being able to use the mute function of the tuner to mute the entire signal or does it not work like that?

4. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    The tuner will mute the way you have it right now. Your effects loop is in between your preamp and power amp (if it's normal). When you mute the tuner, it will kill the signal to your power amp, and thusly to your cab.
    You don't want the tuner after your power amp. I mean, that's just silly. I'd have to read my DTR-2000 manual again to check if it would hurt it or not, but I can't see a reason to do it.
    Me, I use the "tuner out" jack on my amp. My amp has it's own footswitch jack to control mute/EQ on-off.

EDIT:
    No, it does not.

5. ah, i never knew the fx loop worked like that....well, that helps...

since you have the same tuner, have you ever noticed a distorted signal from it, ive heard that some rackmounts generate an aweful ammount of sonic interference

6. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    if you put that tuner between the amp and the cab you will get a distorted signal, at least a very quick one, before the smoke overwhelms you.

A lot of people don't trust tuners in the signal path. If there is a way to keep it out of the path when you don't need it it's not a bad idea

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well thats cus tuners are meant to handle passive/active instrument level, NOT power amp levels!!!!!!
    Mine works just fine (Boss TU-2), and I use it as a mute as well. I find that it does nothing to my sound, except when I output through the non-muted output, and have the tuner on. Then it cuts some of the high freqs. But, again, I don't output that way so it's all good!