Can someone help Re: AMPEG and amp stuff???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silverthread, Oct 26, 2000.

1. silverthread

Jul 12, 2000
    Hi, basically I've been playing for about two years now, so I'm pretty serious about playing bass. As a result, this summer I bought a Mex. Deluxe Jazz Bass through eBay, which I'm happy with, but its really alerted me to the fact that I need to get a new amp. At the moment I have a Force 35W, and I'm thinking about what amp to get. I'm not very technically minded, but I'm guessing I'll want a combo. Basically, I need it for band practices (Ie in Garage, med. sized rooms etc) but also for small-med gigs. It needs to be RELATIVELY compact, because I carry it around, and don't want to break my back. I'd like the sound to be fat but punchy, Ie not twangy and sharp, but not just a fuzzy thump either. Since everyone raves about Ampegs, I'm considering getting one. From what my needs are, I'm thinking a B-328. What do you think? What other Ampegs or amps should I consider? It can't be outrageously expensive, becuase I'm still at school, but I'm prepared to pay a descent amount to get a good amp. On a side note, how much change in the sound of my bass can I expect, moving up to this new amp? I like it at the moment, but it doesn't sound quite as strong as I would like. Any ideas???
  2. Hi.I might sound like an Ampeg commercial but I'm not aiming for that.If you decide to buy that specific rig you will spend some money.Ampeg isn't the cheapest gear nor is it the most expensive either.It is however a good investment should you decide to sell it in the future.If you compare a similar Peavey combo to the B328,it would be cheaper but would not have the same value.IF you choose Ampeg,you won't be sorry,there's a reason why many players go with that company.I hope I've been helpful.I'm not a tech wiz,I've been using Ampeg for years and have never had a problem with them.
    As far as improving your sound/tone,you'll definitely hear a big difference.Good Luck!!! Happy Bassin'!!!
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Best advice I can give you is go to as many music stores as possible and TRY EVERYTHING in your price range. And use YOUR BASS when you do it.

Also read, read, read -- there are lots of good product reviews and tips out there (Bass Player magazine is good for that, but by no means the only source.)

Once you've done that, come back to the forum with some specific questions about specific amps -- your forum mates will be better able to help you at that point.

And don't sweat this -- it should be a buttload of fun. I know it always is for me. :)
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In MY opinion, a 150W Ampeg combo should suit your needs if you run the bass through a PA at gigs
    A 57lbs combo is nothing you want to walk a mile with.
    If you have a car, it's pretty comfortable though (compared to a 120lbs rig)
    I don't know how the 8" speakers perform - can be good, can be bad, does not matter anyway, what I consider as good my be bad for your ears. You have to find out if YOU like it.
    I don't know your Force amp, but I'm sure there will be a HUUUGE difference!!
    So huge that you will like it anyway - but you should still try out some other amps before you buy the Ampeg.
    Because once you got used to the new and better sound, you might find out, that there are other amps (in the same range) wich you like even more.

[Edited by Matthias on 10-28-2000 at 12:10 PM]
  5. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Like everybody else will say, try before you buy. You might like another brand. However, if you are on a budget and you need something powerful enough to play in a band, the Ampeg BA-115 (100w/15"speaker) is hard to beat for the $400-$450 price range. I have a BA-112 (50w/12" speaker) that I use for practice and I love it, and it's plenty loud too. In the cheaper price range, to me, the tone of Ampeg is the best for solid state. Check out the used market too.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Ampeg BA115 is the one i think would suite you quite well. On the topic of walking a mile with an amp, imo walking right about a mile with my little BXR 15 is hard enough with my bass on my back [back pack style straps] did that @ 8:30-9:00 @ night, walking through a less than desireable area with around $600 worth of equipment on me. Ok the Ampeg BA 1-15 sounds good when i tried it, this is a different brand but still i think it sounded good & didn't weigh all that much TubeWorks 1X15 combo [sorry the guy didn't tell me the model or make] I liked it. thats all
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the Ampeg B100R. 100 watts with a 15" speaker and 65 pounds. Bought it used for $200 and it works great!
  8. true, true, all true.

my advice would be to get the nicest combo you can AFFORD.

to decide: try them in the shop. if you're gonna spend a few hundred then you should at least have a good day(s) out doing it!

ampeg are nice. I've also played a really nice fender combo. basically try 'em all out tillu find the oneyou liek best and dont be talked into spending loads a cash if u dont want to!

by the sounds of your needs, you wont need a real biggy, so 100 to 150 should be ample... geddit, ample. ha, bl**dy ha!