Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone ID this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rippin' Robin, Jun 26, 2001.

1. I've been told this is a Tobias, but I'm not certain. I've been offered to buy it for a reasonable price, is it any good?

I'd appreciate any input.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It´s a cheap Tobias Toby Pro Bass, made in Korea.
    Wanna see how much it really costs?
    Here you can buy one of those:
    http://www.musicyo.com

3. It might be a Basic, too... currently surfing the Gibson website.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It does look like a Toby but maybe not.

What's the "reasonable price" and what is the seller saying the bass is? Does he have a receipt?

On the same note, there's someone on eBay selling a bass as a pre-Gibson Tobias, even though the serial number (7000 range) is about 5000 beyond when Gibson took over.

Tobiases can be worth a couple of hundred dollars to a few thousand, it depends.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If it is a Toby sold by MusicYo , it should have "Made in Korea" on the back of the Headstock.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Was it stamped or just a foil label? Spector used to just put an easily removable label on the back of their MIK basses and I've seen several people get screwed buying used ones.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that from the pic it looks more like this - the "pro" line were quite common in the UK a few years back and all the examples I tried were pretty poor. It always struck me as ironic that the "Basic" Tobias's were much better than the "Pro" line. The ones in the UK didn't say "Toby" but they were of this sort of quality.

As others have said though, it's difficult to tell from a pic like this - you really want a close up of the headstock or a serial number.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I also suggest going to http://www.mtdbass.com There is a great explaination there of which Tobias basses were built when and were. If it is an American Made Gibson, it can be pretty nice. I use a Growler as a backup and really think it feels great.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you are comparing the Toby to the Tobias you own, then I'm sure it's no contest; however, you get a lot for your money with the Pro series. It's inexpensive, plays well, looks great, and sounds good. As I'm sure you are aware, BP gave it a pretty good ITPR review.
    The word "Toby" is nowhere on it.

The one I have is stamped.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I was just trying to emphasise what Brad said : "Tobiases can be worth a couple of hundred dollars to a few thousand, it depends."

The thing is not to pay thousands for one that is only worth hundreds!! I think we're just trying to make sure that Robin doesn't make an expensive mistake! :(

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes, I agree, and that is the reason I have tried to help him identify a Toby.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's definitely a Toby.