Can someone identify these pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by franvarin, Apr 17, 2019.

1. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I'm a little baffled by these pickups. I came across these used and am trying to figure out what model they are and I noticed only one lead from both pickups. I stripped back the insulation and there are three wires inside. I'm assuming I use the white and black leads... But, I popped off the covers to see if there was a model number. Nope, but the entire pickup is covered in copper. Does anyone know what I'm looking at here? The cover indicates a SD Basslines pickup but, I've yet to see one quite like this. The only thing on the back of the pickup is a sticker. One says "bridge" and the other "neck"... that's self-explanatory! no other markings that addresses the model number.
    20190417_181028.jpg

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Hot Stack or Classic Stack?

3. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    it's possible, what threw me for a loop is the single lead containing two wires and the copper around the pickup. I guess the colored wires would be wired up as always.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'm not sure what model you've got but I'd assume the three leads are start of coil, end of coil, and ground to all of that shielding.

6. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    So do you think it is just a standard wiring with the colored wires?

7. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think so, can you see on the underside of the pickup if the bare wire is soldered to the shielding?

8. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    No, the bare wire is nowhere to be found. The single wire just comes out of one of the corners of the pickup. Since I can't see inside, I don't know if/how the bare wire plays a role.

9. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'd be willing to bet it solders to a grounding plate under the bobbin or to the foils shielding. If you have a multi-meter you could check resistance (ohms) across the black and white wires, and test them to bare wire. Knowing the resistance of the coil can help narrow down what model they are too. I would expect an open reading to bare wire.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Do you have a meter to test them? The DCR might give some clues. Those stickers might be OEM stickers, as well.

11. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I do have a meter but, I'm a newbie and not sure how to test them. I'm not getting a reading. Given that there are three wires, am I looking at an active pickup? If so, can it be tested with a meter?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Bass Line

13. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Looks to me like somebody took shielding to a new level and actually encapsulated the entire pickup coil with copper foil. Never seen that personally but it may help with noise. IMO it looks homebrew - Not the pickup coil but the shielding. That's not bad - just an observation. I'm sure if you test with an ohm meter you will find near '0' ohms from the end of the bare wire to the copper shielding; you will find approx 8000 ohms (8K ohms) across the red and white leads. I don't know who uses red & white pickup leads, but that is a clue to the manufacturer. Or maybe someone used that lead set from another pickup because that shield wire was in it. I think the context of how you obtained these pickups will tell a better story of them than wire colors. Were they in a bass you bought or were they in a box of tools at a flea market or ???? I would treat it as red hot, white signal ground, and bare equipment ground. It is not active based on pics. Ohm meter will verify. I would say don't worry too much who made them but rather are they good for the bass they are in.

4 Strings Good and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Looks like QuarterPound to me..

15. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    After poking around a bit, I think these are actually active pickups. SD Lightening Rods. According to the wiring diagram on the site, the wire leads I'm seeing appear to match what is in the diagram for active picups. I may give SD a call to see what they have to say. Anyone familiar with these? Am I on point?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Could be active. Ordinarily the red wire would go to the battery, black to ground and white to signal.

17. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Wire up a guitar cable to two alligator clips, with a 1/4" standard jack on the other end. I have one in my shop, with a red (+) clip and a black (-) clip. It helps me in many situations. I'm pretty sure Duncan passive pickups use black as hot, red as a coil terminus... but I would first, simply clip the black and bare wire to black clip, red to the red- or, red and bare to ground and black hot.. Tap the poles lightly- If it works, it's passive. If not, the red is 9V in, and it's active. Odds are, it's passive.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  18. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I was thinking along the same line. What throws me off about the pups is that they have a white, red, and unshielded wires comine from the single lead wire on the corner of the pickup and no model numbers anywhere. The closest wiring diagram i could find is the one in my post above.

19. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    so, i have a 1/4" jack with a couple of wire leads I soldered on as a test unit for breadboarding. I connected the red to hot and white to the tip of the jack. When i tapped the pup I got sound but, of course it hums a lot likely because it's really not grounded. So, not sure what to do wht the thrid bare wire.

20. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Set your multimeter to read resistance. Check from the bare wire to each of the colored wires. It'll probably show an open circuit (if it shows continuity to one and resistance to the other, treat it as the same as the wire it has continuity to). Next, Che k resistance from the bare wire to the copper shield on the pickup. It'll probably show continuity. If so, it's meant to be a shielding ground. Connect it to the shielding in your control cavity. If you don't have a shielded cavity, connect it to ground on your control wiring.