1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone identify these strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jean-Pierre, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre

Nov 22, 2004
    I bought a set of used strings on E-B, in order to try them on my Wav4. They were supposed to be Spirocore, since it was written on the pack. But the colors are different from what I was expecting. They are red at the ball end, with different colors at the peg end: E= yellow; A=blue; D=red and G= green. What kind of strings are they?:confused:

Thanks.

2. from this page:
    http://www.cello.org/heaven/mbarchs/march15/spiroid.htm

I don't know how old or how accurate that is though, as mine are all red on both ends and I thought I had Weichs.

From another page: Spirocore Orchestra
    Light (W)= Red Bottom, Purple Top
    Medium (M)= Red Bottom, Red Top
    Heavy (S) = Red Bottom, Green Top
    Solo (M) = Red Bottom, Yellow Top

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I agree that I dont' think they're spirocores. I'm pretty sure that each gauge of spirocore has a different peg head color, but they match across the set.

Pirastro changes peg head silk colors on each string, but that is not their convention. So, I don't think they're Pirastros.

My thought is Super Sensitive Red Labels, but I'm not sure about that and a little searching didn't definitively tell me.

I'll be watching, though.

And, I'd talk to the seller about them.

4. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
  5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    They are not Spirocore solos. The peg end of them are all yellow. Weichs are all purple, Mettiels are all red, Starks are all green.

6. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I think this is correct.

7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm becoming more convinced that they are Red Labels too. I didn't find a full color code chart for them, but I did find referrence to their A String being blue at the peg end and all of them are Red at the tailpiece.