Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone identify this cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 9, 2006.

1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=A_QNsK6Q-ag&search=matisyahu conan

I searched but couldnt find anything. I saw Matisyahu on Conan a couple nights ago and the bass player looked like he was playing a Ampeg 8x10 but then a HUGE cabinet right next to it. The cab itself was the same size as the 8x10 but with just one speaker. Anyone know what kind of cab this is?

This must be Conans "house rig" because I've seen it on there before.

2. westerton

westerton

Mar 9, 2006
    ive seen that cabinet multiple times on the conan performances.....it doenst even look real to me, hahaha

possible space taker, or just for show???

even if it WAS real and used for the shows...it looks like it'd blow the roof off that place, haha

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm thinking it may be a sound reinforcement sub as most reggae bassists love that really deep floor moving dub bass sound! The vid isn't clear enough to ID it though! Probably housing an 18" or 21" woofer!

4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    It was on as a rerun tonight. I had to search Talkbass because I knew somebody here would have talked about it. :)

I'd swear the cab was wider than the SVT 8x10. The speaker looked like it was something crazy like 24 inches.

Maybe a Whappo Grande with the logo badge removed? The specs say it has a 21 inch speaker and the box is 32 inches wide. That seems right!

[​IMG]

5. Yup, I just saw the re-run too :)

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    bump.....

I saw this episode last night. There is no way it was any of the mentioned. This speaker alone was easily 2 or 3 foot across and the cab was as tall as the 8x10 Ampeg and about twice as wide.

7. Sure it's a speaker and not a refrigerator filled with snacks and drinks? Maybe some lunch meat? Condiments and the like?

Maybe it's a really big bass case? maybe it's a magic box and you go in but don't come out.

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Guys

Cerwin Vega did make a 30" driver at long time ago

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    that's probably it.......i've seen 18" speakers and this thing looks almost double the size.

as far as it being the house rig....i watch conan a lot and i've never seen it on their show before.

10. I've seen it on the show alot.. I've seen it coupled with an Ampeg 8x10 several times.. Man, that must shake the house!

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    that things gotta be hittin' close to the "brown note" :)