1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone identify this P or J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    There’s a bass on craigslist that looks like a P in every way. BUT, it’s got two J pups in the J bass positions. It says Fender Precision on the head stock and looks like a P neck. What is this beast? Anyone ever seen one of these, or do you think it’s a modded P?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    a pic or a link to the ad would help.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Fender made a Squier 5 string that had a Precision body and Jazz pickups back around 2000 or so.

4. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Probably a Squier Precision 5??

5. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Here you go johnk_10: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/2072591402.html

I talked to seller, and he said USA SN on back of head stock is a sticker, and appears to be fake. He also said it was routed for active, but it's passive. It has 3 knobs w/ input jack on the side. I think it's a mod. That being said, what would you give for it?

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Or, the simplest answer- it's a Jazz body with a Precision neck, the best of both worlds! There were so many Precisions in the '70s that folks bolted Jazz bass necks on to, that there's gotta be a lot of Jazz basses with P necks, but I never see 'em...

John

7. Its definitely a P body - look no offset!!.

8. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    probably a squier Precision 5 witha fender P5 neck. Or someone put a fender decal on it.

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the machine heads are definitely imported ones so i'd be willing to bet that the bass was not made in USA.
    so looks like a modified 5 string imported P bass to me, and it's very hard to place a value on something like that, but my guess is that it shouldn't be very high.

this is the closest one that i could find (and it's a Squier):

[​IMG]

10. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    danomite64, MarTONEbass, and johnk_10 I think ya'll nailed it.

Nice fine johnk_10. How could you tell the difference between imported and USA machine heads?

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the bushings are different, and the clover's post is different on the imported heads. the USA heads have a smooth straight post that attaches to the clover button, whereas the imported ones are kinda 'scalloped'.

12. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Had one for a little while a couple of years back. Very wide neck (which I dont do a lot of five string playing, but still to wide for my liking), and sounded meh Okay at best. Do a search for some sold ones on ebay and see what You come up with as far as a dollar value.

13. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Biggest problems with these basses is they're 5 string basses with 4 string jazz pickups which leaves output on the B string rather weak..