Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can someone identify this trace cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 00soul, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    model number/specs would be nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like a pregibson 2103H without a horn.

Wasnt that on ebay a while back??

I have 2 of those with horns.. If I remember correctly, they are 200w and they weight about 70lbs..

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That was my guess, too. That would make it a 2103, right?

Bobby, how do you like those cabs? I bought one off ebay, but when it arrive, UPS had basically destroyed it, and I couldn't even audition it (though I did get my money back from the seller - great chap).

Tom.

4. Beautiful sounding cabinets. Very smooth throughout the freq. range. Tight low end and unharsh high end through the horn... I bought mine new when it still was pregibson.. I have 2 2x10s and 2 1x15s and I would never sell them.. I just dont take them out too much anymore because they weight soooooo freakin much.

If you dont mind the weight, go for it. But if you are looking an easily transportable cab., this arent the ones for you..

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I did get to experience the joy of moving it, so I'm familiar with that end (which is no big deal, really). I would have loved to have A/B'd them against my EA and Berg 2x10's, though...

6. Yeah, I would say it is definantly a different sound than the Berg and EA gear. For a lack of better description, its almost like comparing Ampeg to Eden. Most people I know that use Trace stuff have used it for rock/british rock type music. BUT, then again, I used it for double bass while playing with a big band and love it.

What I do like about the Trace stuff is that it seems like they take a beating and still keep asking for it afterwards. I've dropped my cabinets down bleachers at in a gym once, put ungodly amounts of power to them when I had more balls than brains, and done just about any horrible thing that can be done to them and they still sound brand new.

For me, I like having them because its just a different sound. Its like having a Modulus and an old J-Bass.. Both great basses, both different sounds, both usable in different situations..

7. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

yeah it was on e-bay as of 2 days ago. got it for 125. seemed like a good price

8. Yeah, $125 isnt bad at all.. Are you going to run anything else with it or use the cab stand alone??

9. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

probably stand alone. mainly home practice use.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Darned good price! You're lucky I didn't see that one! :p

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Same here! I'm not much on 10's but for that price I could have made an exception!

Hmm, 215 plus a 210..............it could work! :D

12. Sorry to be a real geek here but the 2x10 without a horn I believe was a 2102, not a 2103...

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am duly impressed!

14. I think my on going affair with Trace stuff isn't so much an affair, more so an illness these days! But at least you know now!

15. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I have the Trace 2x10 with a horn and a 1x15. Both are in new condition because they've never left my basement until... a couple of times this month I played out with some guys and jeeze, those things are heavy! Because of that I'm contemplating replacing them with the same typy of cab's but the lightweight Epifani's. Any thoughts on such a move regarding tone expectations etc?

16. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Oh yes, it is. I have one and a 1153 (1 x 15") too...

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    That's a really good sounding 2x10 cab that doesn't need a great deal of power. I used my cab and loved the sound. The horn can get a little annoying, but the cab is great for sitting in the mix