Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone make me a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Here's the deal. I have a Yamaha rbx160 and 260, and a Peavey Grind sitting here. Apparently they aren't good for selling. I posted them on every place I could find. Locally, there's no chance. So I guess I'm stuck w/ them for now. But I don't play them at all. I decided on fretless after suggestions from an earlier post.

However, I do not want to do it. I've tried similar projects and not had the greatest luck, PLUS I want someone to do a really good job on it. I know I can't do a really good job. Maybe decent or adequate, but not really good like some people on here.

I got all 3 of these basses cheap, so I wouldn't lose much on shipping costs. Is there anyone here who could do it resonably priced? There's no one around locally that can do it as far as I know. Thanks!

2. mattsk42

Got one offer, any others?

3. You could get a Wishbass! Only the finest quality...:-D

4. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    I am willing to help! if the geo. distance is not a problem for you! :bassist:

5. He didn't ask for a wishbass joke...He asked if someone would convert one of his basses to a fretless...

My advice, do it yourself...it will be a worthwhile project...

plenty of advice on here on how to do it...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Worthwhile maybe, but be warned...it's not quite as easy as you might think. I did it, and filling the fretslots went smooth. Sanding the fingerboard didn't. I kept getting buzzes, so I kept sanding and sanding and sanding, and sanding, and couldn't get rid of the buzzes. Next thing you know, I took off about 1/8" of wood and still didn't get it right. So I took it to the shop and let them finish it. And now it's got a very thin neck which I really like, and it plays perfectly. But it took a lot of work to get to that point.

7. mattsk42

Yeah, and I know I wouldn't be much better than that. Plus, I KNOW I couldn't do as good of a job as someone who's done it before. I would do it if I had gotten the basses for literally free, but I did pay some for them and I don't want to waste it until I get a real job and stop paying for school, etc.

I'd ship it there if it wasn't a ton, but I don't have a clue what it costs. Does anyone know if jive or hambone would do it?

8. Well, have you asked one of them? :D

9. mattsk42

Nope, but one of them replied to this thread! Haha, I just haven't gotten around to PMing or e-mailing anyone yet. So....