1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can someone make me a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Here's the deal. I have a Yamaha rbx160 and 260, and a Peavey Grind sitting here. Apparently they aren't good for selling. I posted them on every place I could find. Locally, there's no chance. So I guess I'm stuck w/ them for now. But I don't play them at all. I decided on fretless after suggestions from an earlier post.

However, I do not want to do it. I've tried similar projects and not had the greatest luck, PLUS I want someone to do a really good job on it. I know I can't do a really good job. Maybe decent or adequate, but not really good like some people on here.

I got all 3 of these basses cheap, so I wouldn't lose much on shipping costs. Is there anyone here who could do it resonably priced? There's no one around locally that can do it as far as I know. Thanks!

2. mattsk42

Got one offer, any others?

3. You could get a Wishbass! Only the finest quality...:-D

4. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    I am willing to help! if the geo. distance is not a problem for you! :bassist:

5. He didn't ask for a wishbass joke...He asked if someone would convert one of his basses to a fretless...

My advice, do it yourself...it will be a worthwhile project...

plenty of advice on here on how to do it...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Worthwhile maybe, but be warned...it's not quite as easy as you might think. I did it, and filling the fretslots went smooth. Sanding the fingerboard didn't. I kept getting buzzes, so I kept sanding and sanding and sanding, and sanding, and couldn't get rid of the buzzes. Next thing you know, I took off about 1/8" of wood and still didn't get it right. So I took it to the shop and let them finish it. And now it's got a very thin neck which I really like, and it plays perfectly. But it took a lot of work to get to that point.

7. mattsk42

Yeah, and I know I wouldn't be much better than that. Plus, I KNOW I couldn't do as good of a job as someone who's done it before. I would do it if I had gotten the basses for literally free, but I did pay some for them and I don't want to waste it until I get a real job and stop paying for school, etc.

I'd ship it there if it wasn't a ton, but I don't have a clue what it costs. Does anyone know if jive or hambone would do it?

8. Well, have you asked one of them? :D

9. mattsk42

Nope, but one of them replied to this thread! Haha, I just haven't gotten around to PMing or e-mailing anyone yet. So....