Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone please educate me?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 28, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What EXACTLY is a DI box.

I'm getting the impression that they're not just the run of the mill, effects, stompboxes of yesterday.

One in particular I've noticed, the SanSamp DI Tube emulator seems pretty interesting. I guess I'm just seeing alot of banter about these little gadgets, & am left wondering "*** are they talking about".

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, at the basic level a DI box takes your instrument level signal and puts it to a level suitable for input into a mixing desk / recorder etc.

You're right, in the past these were simple black boxes with input/output and maybe a ground switch.

As more people do more home recording, DI stompboxes like the Sansamp and MXR have become very popular as you can do tone control on them.

I usually use a sansamp live, although I rarely use the tube emulation feature. If you search here, you'll find lots of talk about how the tube emulation feature sucks away a lot of mids and so you lose definition. The emulation works very nicely with my old Aria Pro II SB-1000 bass, which is chock full o'honky mids so it calms it down and warms it up at the same time.

Most of the gigs I play round NYC I'm playing through a house rig, and setup times between bands are tight. So rather than having to set each different amp I generally use the house amp as a master volume and leave it's eq flat. As I do the tone shaping on the sansamp, and I leave it at the positions I like, I can get 'my sound' setup quickly.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    99% of the time I send a Post EQ line from the DI Out in back of my Mesa M-2000, along with a Countryman direct-send from the bass (post effect pedals, though). Gives the engineer the best of both worlds, and if something ever goes haywire, I can plug my bass straight into the Countryman and rock on .