Can someone please educate me?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 28, 2003.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What EXACTLY is a DI box.

I'm getting the impression that they're not just the run of the mill, effects, stompboxes of yesterday.

One in particular I've noticed, the SanSamp DI Tube emulator seems pretty interesting. I guess I'm just seeing alot of banter about these little gadgets, & am left wondering "*** are they talking about".
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, at the basic level a DI box takes your instrument level signal and puts it to a level suitable for input into a mixing desk / recorder etc.

You're right, in the past these were simple black boxes with input/output and maybe a ground switch.

As more people do more home recording, DI stompboxes like the Sansamp and MXR have become very popular as you can do tone control on them.

I usually use a sansamp live, although I rarely use the tube emulation feature. If you search here, you'll find lots of talk about how the tube emulation feature sucks away a lot of mids and so you lose definition. The emulation works very nicely with my old Aria Pro II SB-1000 bass, which is chock full o'honky mids so it calms it down and warms it up at the same time.

Most of the gigs I play round NYC I'm playing through a house rig, and setup times between bands are tight. So rather than having to set each different amp I generally use the house amp as a master volume and leave it's eq flat. As I do the tone shaping on the sansamp, and I leave it at the positions I like, I can get 'my sound' setup quickly.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    99% of the time I send a Post EQ line from the DI Out in back of my Mesa M-2000, along with a Countryman direct-send from the bass (post effect pedals, though). Gives the engineer the best of both worlds, and if something ever goes haywire, I can plug my bass straight into the Countryman and rock on .