1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone please explain what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedalguy1, Sep 4, 2008.

1. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Hey guys, I had a question for all you amp and electronic gurus out there. I was at band practice the other night and flipped on the half stack and heard a strange kinda rattling noise. Im no expert, but i think one the speakers are blown in my 4x10. My amp is the berhringer bx4500, it claims it puts out 450 watts, but berhringer always lists their peak wattages instead of the more accurate RMS wattage. The cab i was running into is an Ampeg SVT 410 He, the one that says classic on the bottom right of the grill. The cab is wired for eight ohms and the power handling on the back says 500 watts. My question is how could the speakers have gotton damaged? the head is 4 ohms, so its not even using all its power. Could it be the voice coil?

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    It's possible to blow anything. For instance, if someone pulls out all the mids (scooping) and then turns up to compensate for being lost in the mix = recipe for disaster.

The rattling is curious however, because I usually associate a blown speaker as completely dead. So I'm not sure what's going on.

3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    could it be the horn? and i do tend to crank the mids, but the clipping light hardly ever came on, and shouldn't the cab be able to handle the eq change?

4. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Blown speakers don't necessarily just quit, they can make all kinds of fugly noises, rattling included.

5. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah speakers do go all the time i toasted one in my old Hartke 410 cab using a Hartke 4000 head :/

6. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    This was a new cab though, I got it just january, and speakers cant just destroy themselves.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yes, they can. If the quality control people didn't catch something that wasn't quite right then a speaker could work great for a while and then just go bad at any given time.

Considering some of the recent critiques of Ampeg and their quality control this very well could be what has happened. If it is under warranty then I would take it back for exchange or contact Ampeg for repair.

8. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    Speakers want a clean signal. A clipped signal destroys speakers. Especially an underpowered clipped signal. Iam not sure about your beringer head, having a level meter of your input.
    Or how to easily explain what Iam trying to say.

If your running an active bass wide open and have the gain and eq jacked up. That could be your problem.

After you get your speaker replaced. I would try turning your volume almost all the way up. gain down . Find your tone on your bass and then bring the gain up till you get the volume your looking for.

Hope this helps.
    Its been a hard lesson for me to learn I have several blown speakers laying around here.

If iam completely off base than ow well.
    Cheers:bassist:

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    False and false. Please search on "underpowering" to find multiple threads debunking this old myth. :)

10. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    If a clipped signal doesnt destroy the voice coil of speakers then what does?

I agree that underpowering alone wont blow a speaker.

I feel like I have read many conflicting posts on this issue.

What do you think the OP problem is?

Cheers

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    A spike of too much electrical current through the coil is a common cause. The coil overheats and can partially melt, short across windings, etc.

I'd bet the OP has one or more blown speakers.

12. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    mine was abount a month old...then can break down right out of the box

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Heat and overexcursion, both usually caused by sending too much power through the speaker.

Clipping can in some cases be responsible for destroying tweeters. What happens is clipping at high volume causes a concentration of high-frequency signal at power levels that can easily be greater than the tweeter was rated for. So even then, it's really overpowering that caused the damage, even if cranking an insufficiently-powered amp to max was the cause of the clipping.
    Oh, no doubt about that. ;) The debate comes up regularly, with a lot of well-intentioned people repeating things they were told, and things they experienced themselves but misunderstood.

I have no idea what specifically happened to the OP's speakers, because there are too many unknowns at this remove.

14. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Overexcursion seems to be the popular failure mode.

Guitarists crank up their bass, and the bassist tries to outdo that to be heard. It's almost never possible.

If, however, the guitarists cut their bass so they're actually playing the guitar parts and you're playing the bass parts, then you don't need to compete.

You can blow speakers no matter how old they are. Just crank up the bottom end and watch 'em tear apart. You won't burn out the coils; you'll ruin the cones,

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Take the cover off so you can get to the speakers. GENTLY flex each cone with your hand. If you can hear a scratching sound, the speaker is blown.

16. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    +1000. There's a good chance the whole "underpowering" speakers will cause them to blow was a ploy by the manufacturers to sell more high-wattage amps. Because if you think about it, many devices send a clipped/compressed signal through a speakers and it won't necessary blow up. You can crank the gain on a 1000 watt amp and leave the master barely on and it's the same thing as having a much smaller amp blasting away.

What craps out speakers is spikes that either send too much electrical current to the voice coil or mechanical failure by overexcursion.