1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone please help me interpret this email from Lace Sensor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mastershake, Oct 27, 2018.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    I received a few emails from Lace Sensor about their Alumitone line of pickups.
    There's just one thing I don't quite understand and was hoping someone here on TB would help me out.

Me:
    Is one individual Aluma bass bar by itself wired like a traditional coiled pickup (e.g. dual coil pickup), as in parallel or series? Or do these wiring type configurations not apply to these kind of pickups?

Reggie:
    Hello @$^%& and thank you for your email. The answer is yes and no!!!

The Alumitone pickups are current driven, not voltage driven like traditional pickups. They are not made up of two separate single coil pickups mounted side by side. However, there are two very small bobbins of wire housed in the black shrink wrap. As there is not two separate pickups, the Alumitone cannot be wired for series/parallel or phase within its self. However it can be wired for split (single coil tones). When the pickup is in single coil mode, the complete surface of the pickup continues to collect sonic information from the strings.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Alumitone pickups: http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/14.pdf

Hit me back with any other questions.

cheers,

Reggie Ashley

me:
    Thank you for the reply and information, but I'm a little confused by the terminology. "When the pickup is in single coil mode, the complete surface of the pickup continues to collect sonic information from the strings."

Since the pickup is not made up of two separate coils as you mentioned, what exactly do you mean by "split" then? How could it be considered split if the whole surface of the pickup continues to collect sonic information? Or are you just saying that it is the bobbins that are split not the surface of the pickup?

I also wanted to know if this split wiring lowers the output?

Reggie:
    The Alumitone splits by eliminating one of the two secondarys from the equation. Even though it is removed, the exoskeleton acts as a turn of the wire from the remaining secondary. Therefore, the complete surface continues to respond to the vibrations of the strings. The split cuts the resistance in half, however any reduction of perceived output is minimal.

cheers,

So my question is what does he mean by secondarys?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I am not an expert, but I will take a shot.

A standard pick up is made of magnets and coil(s).

Aluma is slightly different. It is low impedance tech and is made up of magnets, a single turn coil and a transformer to boost signal.

A transformer has a primary and secondary winding. The signal of the primary is multiplied by the windings of the secondary.

It sounds like the secondary windings have been tapped, so you can choose to use all of the windings on the secondary, or a preset amount that is less than all.

Hope this is accurate and that it helps.

5StringPocket, bholder and RobTheRiot like this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The secondaries are the two small coils he mentioned.

When wired “split” only one coil is active. Since it retains continuity with the two bars of steel, the entire surface of the pickup is still picking up vibrations.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    5StringPocket likes this.
  4. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I guess my next question then is how exactly does this affect the tone?

5. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    It is true that my eyes are very tired because I'm reading this at 2 AM, but if you could change the colors up in you original post that would make it much more pleasant to read...