Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone please help me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captaind, May 2, 2005.

1. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Received my Avatar B212 cab today. Paired it with my Genz Benz GBE600 amp. To say the least i'm not impressed!

Could someone who plays through this amp help me with the settings! All i get is mud on the low end and if i turn up the mids and highs it's either to high or i get alot of hum. What am i doing wrong? I have a passive bass but when i imput on passive it hums excessively. The only thing i'm happy with is the volume this amp produces. It sure does kick!

I have had a very long day so that could be some of my problem but i really expected more from this set up!

I've gone from excited to depressed!!!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Start with the amp set completely flat. Then cut what you don't like. Too muddy? cut bass. Too honky? cut mid. Too scratchy/clicky? cut treble. It is always better to cut than boost. Make up for the lost EQ volume with the gain knob.

3. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    always better to cut than boost?

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but if it's always better, why is there an option for boost on everybody's head? is this the consenus here? And please, really, not trying to argue. I will do a search directly...

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When you boost, you use the EQ transformers (unless you use a $5000 tube EQ), which are generally not the best quality around. I believe that is how it works, feel free to correct me.

5. Think of how many options you are faced with every day that you don't take. Now ask yourself if all of the ones you denied are good because they are available.

Mike

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I'll try to help but it would be easier if I knew what bass you were using and what technique....fingers/pick etc.

As mentioned yes, start with everything flat which is 12:00.

If you are experiencing a boomy sound now, just add some low mids...only a couple of clicks at a time. The problem with boosting is that many, many, many people tend to over-eq.

What happens is their mind says "I want bass". So they turn that way up. Now they say "I've lost definition" so they turn up their mids. Now, since mids are easier to reproduce and hear, they feel they've lost their lows. Now, they go back and boost their lows. Next thing you know they have a congested, overdriven, farting and undefined mess.

7. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to play around with my settings and have a listen to how it sounds.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Many tone controls actually only cut, for instance the classic Fender style one. That uses makeup gain to get an overall boosted response, which is just what Munji's talking about. One problem with boosting is that each filter section may want to resonate at some given frequency when turned up enough. Lots of circuits allow "enough" to some degree, unfortunately.This is especially true of bandpass filters, which would often times be your mid controls. Sometimes we like how that sounds, but there are other ways of introducing this kind of distortion if that's what you like.

FWIW, some of the best sounding graphic EQs ever built are cut-only. The "ultra bass" switch on old Ampegs is actually a treble cut.

My take: it's generally better to start with EQ cuts, then use boosts only if necessary. This is classic sound provider doctrine, but there are always exceptions, no? :cool: In the sound provider world, we often use 1/3 octave graphics, or parametrics with a narrow bandwidth. The rule of thumb makes particular sense when using those tools. Try it on your bass amp though, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    On my Groove Bass 1200 the boost function is to help me cut thru the mix...primarily used in a solo or "featured" segment to stand out without messing with the main controls. I don't have it on all the time.

10. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    no one addressed the hum you mentioned -

does your bass have a single-coil pickup (or two)?

did you check your cable, and your input/output jacks (bass and amp) for shorts/ground loops?

is the control cavity on your bass shielded well?

just some more things to check out.

good luck with it!

11. i think i maybe an exception.
    none of the sliders are below 0dB on my graphic, and everything else is boosted.

i remember reading "you shouldn't need to go past +/- 6dB". my sound is up at the 10 on some freqs. It sounds AWESOME to me, and I SLICE with this set up! Currently I only have a 2x10, but there no loss of power, as I gave a half stack a run for it's money on Saturday night, and a 4x10 combo (same amp/speakers) I used to use never had too little power with these settings... :meh:

12. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005

Thank you so much Munjibunga!!!

I took your advice regarding setting the eq flat and playing around with the gain controls. Ended up cutting some of the high and mid high. This rig was rocking!!!!!!!!!!! Best sound i ever had!!!!!!!!!!! Of course this is in my house. Will probably have to readjust in a different environment.

13. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Thank you for responding! I'm using a G&L JB-2 bass using the finger technique.

I am one of those many people who you referred to regarding over eq'ing. I did exactly what you said! I definately had an undefined mess! With a little help from tb'ers, this Genz Benz 600 is really coming into it's own! Coupled with a 212 Avatar cab, this is easily the best rig i have ever owned. This is the tone i was looking for and heard in the music store.

Really looking forward to next practice with this rig! As for as i'm concerned the Genz Benz 600 and the 212 Avatar cab pair well together. Love this set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I'm glad it worked for you and you're happy. Don't feel guilty about over eq'ing. You know, I've had to go back to the drawing boards myself lately because in the last year, I've bought three new basses.

"Back in the day", even active basses didn't have the very powerful onboard eq's they do today. So when I got these new basses I really had to figure out "where would I get my eq from....the bass, the amp or a combination".

With my 1985 Ken Smith I can safely boost things on the amp. With my Zon, Lull and Lakland I really have to leave the amp flat.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, what he said.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good job munji.......

and +1 on everything passinwind said

i also concur with cutting usually better than boosting.

for a bit more info look in the sitcky at the top of this forum that says "check before asking - answers to your most FAQ..........". in there should be a link to an EQ thread which goes into what the frequencies sound like, etc.

also, on that 600, make sure you have the contour switches/buttons off. those do some eq shaping of their own on top of the eq. overall i have to say that i'm very impressed with the gb 600, and i was quite skeptical.