1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can someone please help me!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve5224, Aug 20, 2012.

1. image-3907177036.

Can someone identify this bass for me? What it is and where can I get it? It's a fender for sure but I've never seen those pickups in fender basses

2. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like an early 80's Elite (something-something) P-Bass by Fender

3. There's some info here. http://www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html No idea how accurate, but it's a good start.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    There are five Fender Precision Elite II's for sale on eBay today. All seem to be from 1983. These were only made foe two years I believe.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I think those where also the first time fender ever made a P bass with P neck and bridge set.

7. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    If it's an early 80's Fender Bass you'd be much better off driving a stake through it's heart than buying it. You couldn't have picked a worse period as far the quality of those basses is concerned and this comes from the personal experiences of a guy whose been playing them for over 30 years.

8. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    The quality of the Precision Elite is excellent.

For example, the pickup's are not mounted with screws but with bushes and bolts.

And when you know/learn how to use the tone control, it cuts through the mix like no other. A lot of presence!

9. 80's Fenders: hit & miss- good ones are good. From another 30+yr player. :)

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You're thinking of the wrong CBS era. Late 70's is the dark time. Then Bill Schultz took over producton manager in 80 and turned things around. They will still be heavy weight instruments though.
    The Elites, as well as the Specials were constructed very well, tight tolerances and all.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I couldn't disagree with you more. While it's true that Fender had an awful lot of trouble with quality control during that period, they also managed to make quite a number of good instruments despite themselves. Every era of Fender's manufacturing has produced some gems and some clunkers. I have an '83 Precision that is absolutely killer. I've also played a few '60s Fenders that were absolute dogs.

I'm not quite sure what it is about '83, but I've played quite a lot from that year that were really nice. My luck hasn't been the same with '80-'82 for some reason. I'm sure it's just the luck of the draw.

Bottom line: don't write something off just because of what year it was made. That, of course, is IMHE.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    ...and even in that dark time there are clear winners. My '78 P-bass is light weight, well made and sounds great. I've played other '78 and '79 Ps that were just boat anchors.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

13. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    They can be heavy, but the body of this one is of alder and has a normal weight (4.1 kg).

Precision%20elite.

14. The elite ll I have is a monster! super tight quality build ,incredible sound , sweet action/play. Unsung hero award for sure!!!!