1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ketchup, Jun 25, 2002.

  1. I am in a fairly new band and we are getting ready to gig....i dont know what equipment we need to buy and what it does can someone tell me what do mixers, preamps, poweramps, signal processors, and power conditioners do? also, whats the difference between a cab and a speaker, subwoofer combo? what out of all that do i need to gig? please help im clueless and desperate.
  2. Slater

    Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

    Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Does this band rehearse?
  3. yes we do but at rehearsal I used our vocalists 150W marsall combo amp, and i need to know what all to buy, especially since i blew out his amps tube last thursday
  4. misterk73


    Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    What do you play through now?

    What kind of venues do you anticipate playing at?
  5. so as of right now i use nothing, and the venues will be about 200 people per show, with PA, Floor monitor, drum monitor, and soundguy provided
  6. You say they have a PA just use theirs. Just take your amp, assuming you have one, and mic it. If you don't even have a amp, then you better get one. But why was the whole band using one amp? Doesn't the guitarist have his own amp?
  7. yes they have their own amps i was usin his cause all i have is this 25W practice amp and im very sure that that isnt enough for the venue, eitherway, can someone answer my questions from my first post? i still want to know what all that stuff does, and can anyone recommend good amplification im lookin to buy since that amp blew out
  8. Sound like the vocalists amp was a g****r amp. Shouldn't use those with the bass. But I'll explain how all that stuff works, since I found out myself not too long ago and I'd be happy to help :D . Ok, what you need is some type of amp and speaker. Wether it be combo or not you need some kind. What I'm gonna be doing is using a cab and seperate rack system and mic it into the PA. You can do this different ways but mic'ing it seems to be the way many people do. From the mic it goes to the mixer. There the soundguy mess with the sound for optimal performance and then it goes to a poweramp, from there to the speaker cabs from which the sound comes from. What you have could work at these things. You could just mic the amp you have and run that into the mixer. But to explain what all this other stuff does, I'll tell you how I use it and stuff. I plug my bass into my preamp which shapes the sound and makes it good and stuff. Then it goes to the poweramp which takes the sound and makes it REALLY loud and sends it to the cabs. Now there are many ways to do this and many things you could put in there but basically that's what you do. Mine (I have a Sansamp RBI) so I can plug into that, use as preamp and have a line out into mixer instead of mic'ing it. But all mic'ing something means is to put a microphone in front of it. So...I think that's about all, but really you shouldn't use guitar amps with bass, because they go poopy real fast. But really you could just use the amp you got and just mic it, it'd look a little funny to have that tiny amp up there, but who cares? Hope I helped you a little, but always nice to help a new guy out...especially when I was one not too long ago and even at this. Look at the other post with me asking about this.....hhahaha

  9. misterk73


    Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My non-expert take on it:

    If your venues have PA, monitor, and soundman support, you don't necessarily need much power. Most soundguys I've talked and dealt with prefer to send the bass direct into the PA anyway. That means your own rig will be for your own benefit (so you can feel/hear your own sound while playing).

    Power-wise, in an unsupported situation, it's been recommend to me that a bass amp have twice the power of the guitar(s) you'll be competing with. (So, in theory, if you have one guitarist with a 150-watt rig, you need about 300 watts; two guitarists each with 150-watt rigs and you'll need around 600 watts; so on and so forth.) Some people recommend you have four times the power of the guitarist(s) but this seems excessive to me.

    I was in a simlar situation as you about a year ago and opted for a combo amp that puts out 200 watts on its own and 350 if used with an extension cab. I've been able to handle all practice and gigs with this one combo. I sometimes wish I'd gone with something more modular and flexible, though, which leads us to...

    Heads. A combination preamp and power amp that you run through one or more cabinets. You can also get a separate preamp and power amp for more flexibility down the line. Preamp lets you shape your sound a bit, power amps essentially push it through the cabinets.

    Cabinet configurations seem to be a matter of personal preference, as are various brands for preamps, poweramps, heads, and cabs. 10" and 12" speakers tend to be tighter and punchier, 15" and 18" speakers (which I guess might be referred to as woofers or subwoofers) are less focused. LEt your ears and tastes be your guide, but a lot of people seem to dig the sonic flexibility of a 2x10 cabinet paired with a 1x15 (for example).

    I think you'll be able to find plenty of recommendations for specific components in other threads, and you probably don't need to worry about mixers, standalone EQ, power conditioners, and all the rest (yet).

    Hope this helps...
  10. thanks guys that helped a whole lot this stuff is expensive and im not one that comes by cash too easily. and i can really use my practice amp with the PA? cooooooooooool. ill be the hippest cat there, by far. but anyways thanks for the info i needed it because i need some good amplification for rehearsals. By the way, my band isnt up there yet, but to hear some great louisville bands like MSD, hallowtide, execrate, and so on, go to www.kymp3.com our local scene is great.
  11. :) my name is mike too
  12. misterk73


    Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    One other thought (on the direct-to-PA tip): You might be better off going direct into the PA using a DI box as opposed to micing the amp. You could buy one yourself -- a serviceable DI can be had for between 40 and several hundred bucks.

    Actually, the soundman just may have a DI or two laying around that you can make use of. Bring your practice amp to the gig and then let the soundman decide how to best deal with it -- that's his job, after all!

    Good luck and have fun!
  13. oh really? so thats what those little boogers do...thx again guys
  14. Skorzen


    Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Not if you want to hear yourself. most of the time bass doesent go through moniters because it hogs power and the other band members think it's too loud or something. You can get away with a less powerful amp if only you need to hear it. It helps if you can get it up high off the groung a bit so you can here it better. I would say if you are playing with a drummer 100 to 150 watts is the absulute least you can get away with and not be killing you amp to hear yourself.

    Most of the time bass goes direct, in the many sound gigs I have worked we have never miked a bass amp, and my friend who runs a studio uses bass direct as well.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.