Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Someone Plz Define Pop-Rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by imLOST, Jan 17, 2003.

1. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    Well, I LOVE pop-rock, yes I know... I hate the terminalogy "Pop" on it, but that is what it is called. I would like to be able to write "good" pop-rock music and be able to describe to the drummer and all that. So can some one define it? What makes it PopRock.

-imlOST

2. I told the band that I joined that they were pop-rock. My criteria:

- V-C-V-C-B-C song structure
    - 3-4 chord chord progressions
    - slightly distorted guitars

- sounds good on its own but painfully derivative when played after a Jimmy Eat World song :D

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That definition of pop-rock excludes a huge amount of the part of my music collection that I would call pop-rock. Pop-rock is so much broader than that. You don't do it justice. IMHO.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Pop = short for popular. What makes it pop rock? Thousands of screaming teeny boppers.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Popular music, by definition is simply music written for commercial purposes in the popular style of that culture. How do I know? Music appreciation classes are cool...

6. If it were a painting it would just look pretty but not have any meaning or depth

7. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    Ok, obviously there is much depth to "pop-rock" so what would you consider New Found Glory?

-imLOST

8. Pop-Punkrock with a touch of bad taste:D ;)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Goodness gracious... pop gets such a bad rap. I really don't think of pop as a 'bad word'.

"written for commercial purposes" - there are plenty of writers/creators of popular music who would disagree with you there. Do you think that pop music is only created to make money? I know that's not true. Well - as far as record company execs go, it may be - and as far as the freelance songwriter goes - it may or may not be. But for the artist, it isn't. Time after time after time, artists in the popular music industry say don't do it for the money, do it for the love of it. And you say it's written in the popular style of that culture. Some artists write music in the current popular style. Some seek to create a the popular style with the music they create. The style can create the music or the music can create the style. I favour the latter.

Pop music wouldn't have any meaning or depth you say... again, there are plenty of writers/creators of popular music who would disagree with you there. I can only assume your talking about the likes of Britney Spears etc. when you say that. When I think of pop, I don't think of Britney Spears.

10. are you sayind someone like Led Zepplin are just as artistic as puddle of mudd?

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've never heard anything by Puddle Of Mud. What's your point, though?

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    There is an interesting twist here and that is that a talented and devoted artist can make great sounding original music and it will be fresh and hip and alternative...but as soon as enough people find out about the new alternative sound then it will become popular, this will mean that the artist has "sold out" and we will realize that all along he was only posing as an original artist and was really just a poser pushing his fake pop sell out crap. This is why I only listen to music that no one else likes. Pop is so lame.:rolleyes: ;)

13. Feel free to post your definition of "pop-rock". You've slammed everyone else. :D

(Let's not fight about this either. There is no right answer. ;) )

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL, I didn't really slam everyone else...

I don't really have a specific definition of pop-rock, I don't really like to categorise music too much. Whatever definition I give would probably exclude something. But to me, it doesn't have to have guitars in (certainly doesn't have to have distorted ones), and can (and mostly does) have more than 3-4 chords in - very often a lot more. And certainly doesn't have to have that whole V-C-V-C-B-C thing. To me it's more to do with the ethos, and the attitude and approach. And feel.

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Pop-rock definately doesn't have to have distorted guitars and mindless vocals in it. Just look at someone like Ben Folds. Up untill his solo album, he never had a guitar on an album with him. Sure he had distorted bass in Ben Folds Five, but that doesn't count.

Pop doesn't just mean that the music is bland and repetitive. It just means that it's catchy, often (but not always) light-hearted rock.

16. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I think Justin hit it in saying it's catchy. My favorite "pop" band is probably Fountains of Wayne, who can write a chorus so catchy that it will get stuck in your head and ruin your weekend.

In musical terms, I think of pop as somewhere between acoustic and distorted, although it can use both when needed, mainly chord progression based, and relatively short songs. Of course their are exceptions. Some bands that I'd call pop rock are Collective Soul, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Better than Ezra, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Jimmy Eat World, and The Pushstars. Some of these bands/artists sound nothing like the others (Jimmy Eat World will never be mistaken for The Pushstars), yet they're all "pop" bands.

I'm the type who doesn't think pop is a dirty word. Some people naturally write songs that are poppy. I do it, although not all my songs are sunshine-sunny-day-pop, they could all be called pop.

17. That 99% of popular music is 100% crap

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I doubt you've heard 99% of popular music.

19. All I used to listen to is pop crap (ten ****ing years, waisted) including PopRock. Untill I realized that is was crap. I only say something if I know what I'm talking about.

When I say 99% of pop is 100% crap, I have hear 100% and 1% is ok

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So what's the 1% that's not 100% crap?

:rolleyes: