Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can someone rate my tab?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crazybassist420, Jan 13, 2002.

1. crazybassist420

crazybassist420

Nov 30, 2001
    Nuevo, Ca
    Hey sorry about last time when "I" toll those dudes they sucked that wasn't me, but anyway I never got a rating for my tab. And that one guy said that the timings were off I just want to know how to make all that stuff correct before I write another tab. But back to the point, my tab is for Limp Bizkit's "Boiler" and its at http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Bass,l,2243,Limp+Bizkit,Boiler,13927
    Its the tab at the bottom thats not rated

Thanks and sorry to those other guys

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    why hello there again, young man :p

you're either extremely persistant or very heavily into S&M, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt for doing the whole "head in the lion's anti-tab mouth" thing. again.
    your tab is fine, mate. good stuff. i've never heard the song, but it looks very nice to me. what i meant when i said that your timings were wrong previously is that it is almost impossible to include accurate rhythmic information within a piece of tab - it was meant as a subtle barb, an in-joke, whatever. obviously you didn't quite get it, but that's okay. no-one can be as perfect as we are :D

you owe me a few ratings, baw.. :)

Entombed - Full Of Hell

Tool - Hooker With a Penis

Linkin Park - Points of Authority

Kyuss - Green Machine

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Geez, the rhythms are STILL off.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - I give it 0 out of 10 for rhythmic/time information! :D

5. crazybassist420

crazybassist420

Nov 30, 2001
    Nuevo, Ca
    Hey your Linkin Park tab sounds perfect (easy, but perfect), I don't have any of the other cd's to play those other songs though.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    For the lack of timing informaion and poor choice of material, I can only give it a:
    [​IMG]

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I still think ur tabz look gr8! Dont pay ne a10shun 2 those other guys, there just B-ing jerks 4 no reason.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Peachy. Just peachy. I can't get the danged link to open, but I'm sure it's just peachy. Feel better now?

9. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    why are you all bothering about the timing being off, it is a tab, i didn't think you were supposed to get time signatures on them?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Did you read the comment from Tones? That is :

"what i meant when i said that your timings were wrong previously is that it is almost impossible to include accurate rhythmic information within a piece of tab - it was meant as a subtle barb, an in-joke, whatever. obviously you didn't quite get it! "

This is why we think Tab is a waste of time. It takes some people a long time to realise this - if ever!

Any bassist who doesn't "bother about timing being off" is not going to be a good bassist, by definition. Good bass playing is all about being very bothered about the timing and being very rhythmical - if you are sloppy in this area, then you might as well not bother at all! Bass playing is all about the groove and fitting in, in a tight rhythmic fashion! ;)

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    ..we are, after all, Subharmonic Rhythm Engineers, and it would not do for us to be out time :)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Which is why Tab is totally worthless for anyone who is serious about music.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i'll have to disagree slightly with the man here - my tabs uptop are indicative of my willingess to improve my ear, for that is what lacks the most in my musical arsenal. technique? no worries, that's all natural, but i'm not a born musician in the sense of being able to hear "colours" within music, so to speak. therefore i make it an ear-training habit to pick up songs that i can't play and have never heard, and work on transcribing them into tablature.

when i get a firm enough grip on notation to be able to use that instead, i will. but for now, ye olde numbers and lines must suffice, although i don't know if anyone else makes use of tab in this capacity - for the record, i never use it to learn a song. i'd feel cheaper than usual if i did that :D

14. Personally i use tab all the time. theres no problem at all if i'm reading a tab from a song that i know because you just pick up the rhythm from listening to the song (yeah! just like that)
    i dont agree with your comment about 'tab is worthless for anyone serious about music', does it really matter if we're learning songs we know?
    I'd love to be able to read music, to a certain degree i can but im not too good at it, one thing im sure about is that i am serious about music, music is going to be my career and even if i'm not as PERFECT as you musically educated blokes, i dont give a **** because i enjoy what i'm doing and i manage to reach my aim with the very little knowledge i have, and i enjoy myself.

I dont know if it's just me but us younger bass players who playmainly out of enjoyment, seem to get a lot of **** off you older bass players who know every scale,every note and every bass line that Stu Hamm ever did.

The tab is cool by the way.

- Russ

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    someone once said "ignorance is bliss", but i can't remember who .. :p

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you keep working on tab, instead of spending time working on reading and writing standard notation, it'll take you much longer.....much longer.

There are no shortcuts. Period.

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    absolutely. but i find working on so much at one time works against me - especially two things, ear-training and reading/writing notation, which take a lot of work and concentration, at least on my part. at the moment my ear is the big problem, as i need to develop it to a professional standard by the time i turn 18 :eek: (my teacher wants me to sub for him when i'm of legal age, so i can do the gigs he can't make in licensed venues).

one thing at a time, Paccy, or nothing'll get done.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you were a serious musician-to-be, why wouldn't you want to be as prepared and skilled as possible? Being able to read music and have trained ears will help with that...nobody will ever require you to read tab at a professional level.

Tab is a terrible thing. *Tones*, if you use your ears, which you can, then you shouldn't bother making it into a tab. By doing this, you're preventing someone else from being forced to use their ears, and just furthering the use of tab. Use your ear, that's the way to do it, just don't put it into tab! If you want to read notation, a solid way to start is just to start transcribing songs into notation!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    then transcribe it to standard notation.

it's ok, we'll wait. :)

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I disagree. Following that logic, if you just worked on major scales until you had everything about major mastered, you'd have to wait to work on minors. When that happens, the things you work on first will always be stronger. My suggestion, and the practice routine I recommend, would be to work on small chunks of everything. Everything gets better at roughly the same rate that way, and you end up a more well rounded player.

Ideally, you want to be good at everything, with no weak areas. Think of it like a garden. If you were to plant on thing and wait for it to grow before planting another, the first thing will always be bigger. Plant everything at once, and let them grow together, equally, slowly.

And good luck.