Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone reccomend a guage????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I still have my stock strings on my bass, and they are starting to sound kinda dull..."dead" if you will. So i im in the market for some new strings. the type of music i play is in my profile, and here's what im looking for sound and feel wise. Somethign not too rough on the frets or my fingers. Something thats also relatively easy to fret, cuz otherwise ill be buzzing like a friggin' bee. And im also looking for somehitng that isnt too thin, because i want nice fat tone, and a string that I wont beable to have my way with because otherwise ill endup really pounding the hell out of them to get a better output and sound fatter, and ill end up hitting my pickup poles...and thats no good. And keep in mind that I am a decent fan of slap n pop...

Hope this isnt too much to ask, but im open to any suggestions, and if you have a different suggestion, try and let me know hwat the advantage of those will be vs. that of other guages etc....

Thanks
    Graham

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try a .40-.100 set. That's what most people use - at least over here in Europe.
    Americans seem to use heavier gauges. At least some of the light gauge sets of American brands, would be medium sets with European manufacturers.
    You can try .035-.095 if you want to go more stanley clarke with your sound.

3. Yea, .045-.100 ( .045 .060 .080 .100 ) or .045 -.105 ( .045 .065 .080 .105 ) is what most use on electric basses. I use a .045-.105 (actually .045-.128 because I have a 5 stringer), on my electric bass. However on my acoustic bass I use a .041-.086 (.041 .052 .068 .086) mainly because I like the tone better, and the action is very high on my acoustic.

4. .045 - .105 D'Addario's are what I use exclusively.

EXL165's to be exact. They're great and consistent.

Chris

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I like 45-105. They have a nice chunky feel to them. Good for fingers and pickn', seems ok for slap.

6. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I like the lighter gauges. I range from 035-090 to 045-100 on my basses. I like 010-047 on my acoustic 6 pack. Light strings are more comfortable to play and sound better (to me) than the heavier gauges.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    40,64,80,100, IMO, are the best balance between comfort and tone. I've tried them all and have always returned to these gauges. Oh yeah, DR Nickel Lo Riders are my brand of choice.

8. i'm using 105's now, but i'm going to go back to 100's because the 105 E string is a little too hard to play.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    You said you wanted a fat sound, maybe try a medium gauge set. Approximate gauges for medium 4's are (45-65-85-105).
    If you want something that sounds fat and warm, but easy on the fingers, I would recommend a quality nickel roundwound. Nickel is supposedly easier on frets, and might also feel better on your fingers. Most nickel players don't like the feel of a stainless, they claim they're too rough.

Here's some initial ideas, but there are so many brands out there, I'm hesitant to tell you to try one over the others. All prices are for 4 string sets.

DR Sunbeams - These are nickel roundwounds, very good quality strings. They sound good, and feel quite nice. Cost = $23

DR Lo Riders - My personal favorite, but I use stainless strings. If you try them, I would recommend *nickel* Lo Riders. Stainless is an acquired taste in sound and feel for some players, and I wouldn't want you to spend $25 bucks to find out you don't like stainless. Note that they are slightly higher tension than most strings. I noticed you said you like to dig in sometimes though, and these will certainly handle a heavy hand better than most other strings. Cost = about $23

Carvin - Good nickel roundwounds, but they only sell direct on their website. The price of shipping is offset by the great price, only $10 a set. I don't know about the 4 string sets, but their 5 and 6 string sets are actually Labella Super Steps sold under Carvin's name.

I've tried a lot of strings, but these are the only ones I am willing to recommend right now. If you want to try something good at a great price, try the Carvins. This shipping is $8 whether you order 1 set or 10, so that kinda sucks. Here's the thing though. If you get one set and find you like them, you can stock up on $10 sets later on. For $10, I think you'd have a really hard time finding a string as good. Plus, anything decent in your local shop will likely be at least $18 anyway.

To find the Carvin strings, go to www.carvin.com Then, click on Bass Kits and Parts at the top of the page. Scroll down just a little, and find the 4 string set #4511, it's in a red package.

Good luck!

10. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I still have stock stings on mine, they are still playing descent. Im going to have to check out the DL and carvins. its 5 string. I want a light b string and the rest mediums. ??? I might just buy EB slinkys too, im still deciding before my strings take a crap and die on me.

11. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I use and like DR Lo-Riders, heavy gauges (.050-.110) on my fretless Tune. They are my fav. rounds. :)