Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone recomend me some things to listen to?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Casey C., May 12, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I would like to expand my bass influence. My main problem is trying to listen to anything else! I have a problem with listening to stuff that I have heard from jaco or victor because it doesn't get me going. I like rock, hard rock and metal in general. My favorites are metallica, megadeth, anthrax, ratm, and you get the point :rolleyes:

Can someone recomend me something to listen to that fits my likings that influences me? Can be anyone, someone from a mp3 site is cool with me.

help :(

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    If you like the rock genre,then I suggest either...

any cd by Less Than Jake(ska/punk band but has an amazing bass player)
    Rancid-lets go(the best bass playing on a punk cd)
    their bass player is Matt Freeman,youve probably heard of him before.If you wanna hear him at his best download either "maxwell murder", "axiom", or
    "white knuckle ride".they all have solos.every rancid song has some sweet basslines,he goes up and down the whole neck,it sounds amazing.good luck!

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, I hate punk (with passion), but I'll give it another try for now to see what you mean. Thanks for the rec's :)

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    mudvayne, the bass player is just bad ass. the live dvd is great, he totally carries the band.

5. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    listen to the beatles!!

especially the White Album and Sgt. Peppers

-nik

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hard rock/metal developed from the blues-rock of the late '60s/early '70s. Why not go back and check out some of that stuff?

Try:

'Led Zeppelin' and 'Led Zeppelin II'
    Key Songs: 'Communication Breakdown', 'Good Times Bad Times', 'Whole Lotta Love', 'Heartbreaker'.

Cream: 'Strange Brew' and 'Wheels Of Fire'
    Key Songs: 'Sunshine Of Your Love', 'White Room', 'Crossroads'.

I've got a recent two-disc compilation of Humble Pie's early output. Some good stuff there.
    Key song: 'Natural Born Bugie'.

I don't know much of Black Sabbath's stuff, but 'Paranoid' and 'Iron Man' are two essential songs to know.

I've got a two-disc compilation of Beatles stuff from 'Sgt. Pepper's..' onwards (blue cover). That'd be worth getting, or 'The White Album' and/or 'Abbey Road'
    Some essential songs: 'Back In The USSR', 'Helter Skelter', 'Get Back', 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me & My Monkey.'

7. Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden

8. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i think everyone owes it to themselves to buy this album... don't just download mp3s, it doesn't do it justice...

u only like rock? u only like metal? get this one. Some really cool stuff!

lp

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Have you checked out Faith No More? Danzig? Sepultura? Dream Theater? Iron Maiden? Deep Purple? Insane Clown Posse? Yes? Rush? That is a broad spectrum of bands that might contain something that will peak your interest.

10. Anything by Billy Sheehan-Talas, David Lee Roth, Niacin, Mr. Big

Steve Harris-Iron Maiden
    Geezer Butler-Black Sabbath
    Yngwie Malmsteen-any of his stuff (Fire and Ice kicks a$$)

11. Dude how about Fugazi, Rancid, 311, Trail of Dead, Tool, NIN, Janes Addiction, Living Colour, Faith No More, old school Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Soundgarden, RHCP, Primus, Fishbone, Bad Brains, Rage Against The Machine, Incubus (science).....Dude I could go on forever. Also, dont forget to listen to hip hop beats it will widen your oppurtunity to be influenced, which is a good thing. Hip hop beats although very simple are sometimes coolest rythms you can find in music. Theres good music in just about every genre and Im sure if you look for it you can find something you like.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you want heavy music with great bass playing, I highly suggest a band called Athiest. Roger Patterson and Tony Choy are two amazing bassist.

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah,Danzig is cool.Their like hard rock/classic rock/and punk mixed in one.Very cool.My friend has their Self titled one ( i think,it has "mother" and "twist of cain").That cd is awesome.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    2 words:

EARLY MOTOWN

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    In addition to the above I'd suggest Therapy? and The Almighty. Also - Guns 'n' Roses maybe and what about The Cult!!!

16. Exhorder
    Overkill
    Nuclear Assault
    Exodus

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am big into GWAR, old Metallica (Kill 'Em All through the "black album"), the Friedman-Mustaine-Ellefson-Menza version of Megadeth, Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson and The Misfits, but have also really been getting into bands like Chris Isaak & Silvertone and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. My opinion is that no one can only listen to one type of music all the time -- we all need an escape, even from our "favorite" music. If you're not into GWAR, check out some of their stuff -- Beefcake's tone is one of my favorites and some of his lines are flat-out awesome! Also, if you think you can stomach it, check out some Chris Isaak (Rowland Salley's tone makes me swoon ;) ) and maybe some Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (it's swing music). If you live with some other people, have friends, or work with people that listen to different stuff than you do, ask 'em for some recommendations and if they'd be willing to lend you (or trade dubs of) some of their discs.

18. Primus! :D

Hey Hategear, what are some good Gwar songs with cool lines? I love Beefcake's tone and I enjoy Sick of You and Have you Seen me, cool bass, I especially like the Jazz bits in have you seen me. What are some other cool Gwar songs?

19. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I dont know about cool basslines by GWAR(except have you seen me) but "pre-skool prostitute" is hilarious.Everytime me and my friends hear him say "vengeance...is mine" we crack up.that part if awesome.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, as you said, "Sick Of You" and "Have You Seen Me" are pretty good. Then there's "Fish F**k," from We Kill Everything, "Let's Blame The Lightman," "I Suck On My Thumb" (more for the tone than the actual bassline) and "Don't Need A Man" (has kind of a jazzy, "low-key" bassline goin' on), from Carnival Of Chaos, "Dirty, Filthy," from Ragnarok (has a cool little run halfway through it), "Krak Down," from This Toilet Earth, "P***y Planet," from America Must Be Destroyed (there's that tone again!), "King Queen" and "Cool Place To Park," from Scumdogs Of The Universe (I think Oderus played bass on "Park," not Beef) and "Captain Crunch" and "Ollie North," from Hell-o. Another good "tone tune" would be "Anti-Anti-Christ," from their newest release, Violence Has Arrived.