Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone recommend a book for playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 22, 2003.

1. I picked up one at my local music store and it turned out to be like an ultra beginners guide to playing. I'm going to return it but im looking for 1 book that will help me with the following:

Bass basics
    Reading Music
    Learning different techniques
    Care and maintnance
    Exercises and practice tips
    Playing in a band
    ect

Can someone please give me a book (author and title) to pick up? Are the "Made For Dummies" series worth getting too?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Looks good. Any other books I should pick up while out?

Also, is that bass bible in 5 different books that i have to buy seperatly or were they just different sections?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    One book, five sections.

I really like Gary Willis' Fingerboard Harmony, I just got the German/French edition of Solo Concepts For Bass by Chuck Sher and Marc Johnson, which looks very, very good www.advancemusic.com

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you're trying to learn to read, try a trombone book. It's in bass clef, and since trombones can only play one note at a time, it's not too complicated.

6. Check out the Improvisor's Bass Method by Chuck Sher. It's a great resource that has helped my overall musicianship considerably.

Check it out here.