Can someone recommend a book on Bass rigs and the options of connectivity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alienstarguest, Mar 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

May 30, 2009
    I'm mainly looking for a book (if it exists), that will take you through the history of Gear and connections of electric bass rigs from the early days (starting in 60s would be fine). And most importantly, the morphing that took place as house sound advanced. Miking up amps, DI, and the variety of applied applications.

If there isn't one specifically for Bass, I'm sure electric guitar will suffice as I can fill in the gaps. Also looking as to how PA works these days, stage sound vs. audience sound, monitors, in-ear gear and all that.

Especially looking for examples with artists and how they may have changed over the years.
    I mean isn't it true if your good enough and say working a prominent festival circuit, that you could do just fine with a 5w Fender Champ miked up? Perhaps even less?

Since I don't tour, or havn't in 27 years, I'd really like to catch up and color in all the spaces. I'm finding plenty of my old musician friends are even farther away from what's happened than I am? I do read a lot, but nothing has connected the dots all the way for me.

2. @JimmyM could give you a rundown having been gigging since the 70's.

I don't know that much has really changed between stadium gigs back then and now. Where it has really changed is in the smaller scale where indeed little to nil stage volume and IEM is gaining popularity.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if anything, bass rigs are less like guitar amps and more like PA systems.

as such, the yamaha sound reinforcement handbook is your bible here.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    A lot of stadium acts use IEM's now, too. The most drastic changes have been in PA world, where giant horizontally stacked PA cabs and tons of power amps that weigh a ton have been replaced by much smaller hanging line arrays with subs and a couple racks of very light power amps. But it was possible to go ampless in the 70's, too. You'd just use the monitors and/or side fills instead to hear yourself instead of IEM's. But nowadays you still see acts with giant amp rigs and lots of stage volume, too. It varies greatly from act to act. I don't know of any books that discuss all the changes, though.

6. Two books come to mind: Ampeg-The story behind the sound, also The Peavey Revolution,both are great history of the companies but also take you through the development of bass sound re enforcement.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021