1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone recommend a good P/J bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OXploiter, Nov 29, 2006.

1. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I've been looking at the Sadowskys, but I know that I can't shell out for the Vintage 4. The Fender P/Js are not bad, but are there any other alternatives??

If there is a parts place that sells a P/J body, I might be able to get one of those and put a Jazz neck on it.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

2. warmoth.com
    usacustomguitars.com
    etc.

if you're looking for prebuilt...
    fender aerodyne p bass
    fender deluxe P (MIM and MIA)
    fender reggie hamilton j bass
    used mike lull or vallenti
    etc.

3. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Check out the G&L SB-2

4. +1 on the SB2...

also check out the new Peavey Zodiac Dave Elefson...

5. 1 1/2 words...yamaha BB414..

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Yamaha BB414 or BB614.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Fender Zone. P/J active pickups, string-thru body, jazz-type neck, small and comfy. Good tone from what I remember. MIM Deluxe series or pricey MIA's are available too with with special body construction (layered woods etc.)

Also, I used to own a Godin Freeway 4. Passive P/J with VVT controls, string-thru body, jazz-dimension neck. Very resonant, warm and snappy tone. They're good too.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you were seriously considering Sadowsky but want to spend a little less, check out the Dingwall Super J with P/J pickups. It's the best P/J I've played, by far. Of the sub-$800 Fenders, I think the Reggie Hamilton is the best. It has active/passive operation and U.S. electronics, and represents an excellent value IMO. Fender American Hot Rod P-basses come up on eBay all the time, and usually sell in the $650-750 range. That's not a bad choice either.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Call Roger Sadowsky. They should be coming out with the new Metro PJ's very soon. If that is still to expensive then I would highly recommend having Nino build you one.

10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    +1 for Mike Lull.

11. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1 on Nino Valenti. I always thought this PJ he made a while back was awesome, and I still love the 'Red Geddy' that I own.

Andy_DeWitt_011.

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Bob echoes Bob.

13. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Rob Elrick makes a mean P/J, but the one I own is the only one I've ever seen.

Attached Files:

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 on the Nino idea.

That is great (and interesting) news about the metros...any word of a fretless....sorry to hijack....:ninja:

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Schecter model T

16. I have 3 Warmoth bodies and 2 of them have the PJ setup. One is korina (my favourite), one is walnut, and the other is koa. Either of these look good with an oil finish, which you could do yourself if you want to save money.

All three have Jazz necks. I'm awaiting a wenge neck from Warmoth and I'm anxious to hear how that sounds. The PJ pickups I'm using are Seymour Duncans.

17. snackbandit

snackbandit

May 14, 2006
    San Diego
    80's Fender Jazz Special :bassist: