Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can someone recommend a good polishing compound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hell_awaits, Oct 17, 2000.

1. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    In an attempt to remove some fine scratches from my bass, I purchased some turtle wax polishing compound, and it made the problem worse!! Can anyone recommend a polishing compound that works?!?! I've seen the Blue Coral stuff, but is it worth the nine bucks?

Thanks in advance..

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dunlop makes a great Cleaner polish and a cream of carnuba wax. I bought there complete maintenance kit for 15 bucks and it comes with some good products, Fingerboard cleaner and conditioner, polish & wax, String condtioner. Good Stuff! Gibson makes a great polish/conditioner also.

3. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    I've always had the best luck with the Meguiar's three-step system (Cleaner, Polish, and Wax). I know it's car polish, but I've never had a problem. I've found that it removes scratches very well, and puts on a _blinding_ shine as well. It costs $20 or more depending on where you live however, and if that's a little to steep, Turtle Wax offers a color-matching product called Color Magic that does a wonderful job of hiding scratches. I've always used it with a hard wax afterwards, because I have a concern that it may rub off on your clothes, but with a wax, I've never had it happen to me. The color magic is offered in a boat load of basic colors, and each will match almost any like color. All it should cost is roughly $5. The Blue Coral is a decent product, but for the cost, I wouldn't recomend it.

And yes, I used to detail cars for a living.

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I'll second the Meguire's polish and wax. They do an awesome job. Meguire's just came out with a new type of wax which they market as "Yellow Proffesional Wax". I've been using this for the last few months, and boy howdy, this stuff is great! Bit pricey @ $10 a can. But then again 1 can will last you quite a long time.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    H.A., this is going to sound like locking the gate after the horse gets out.Some finishes wont rub out to a polish with any kind of polishing compound, especially enamels. There is very little chance that anything will cover and conceal the haze that polishing or rubbing compound can leave.

Any polish or miracle cure that contains silicones will leave a residue that is next to impossible to remove. If EVERY trace isn't removed the paint will "orange peel" when you try to touch it up or refinish it. It usually is on the label somewhere if a polishing agent has silicones in it.

At this point be very careful not to create a lot of extra work by making the repair harder.

I would advise you to contact Fender and find out what kind of finish the bass has on it. This info is pretty important in choosing the repair finish. Laquer for instance is a powerful solvent finish that can melt melt an enamel finish. There are lots of urethane based paints being used also that require pretty special measures.

You describe, in your profile, your bass being a run of the mill MIM. Maybe you can refinish the body completey and make it special. Lots of people refinish thier own bass on thier kitchen table with excellent results.

hope this helps, PKR2

6. H.A.
    Nothing will work if the scratches are too deep to rub out.
    It's hard to say without looking at the problem.
    The Turtle wax compound you used is an older technology product that was most likely designed to be used to rub out automotive lacquer.
    And I am sure using a power buffer,(1200 or 1800rpm) not by hand.
    In my experiance that type of product will usually scratch it up worse.
    3M products are the best IMO.You can find it at most parts stores that sells automotive paint. Try this,
    1. Clean the area with warm water and mild soap, dry area.
    2. Clean the area with naptha.
    (in all of these steps, use clean soft cotton or cheesecloth)
    3. Rub lightly, by hand in one direction (using the 3M products mentioned in step 4), balling up your rag into a pad and ALWAYS making a new pad when it soils up. You don't want to keep rubbing scratches ito the area with a soiled rag that has dried compound on it.
    4. Get the 3M Perfect-it III clearcoat polish and the Perfect-it III glaze. It's simply the best. This is a two step process. Take your time, It should improve the appearance. A final note, If the guitar is Lacquer it will rub out a lot easier than if it is a catalyzed clear. The latter will need a buffer due to the hardness of the coating.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    On