Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone recommend an Alternative to my Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bonafide, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I would sincerely appreciate all and any responses. I would like to sell my Stingray and pickup a bass with similar tonal qualitys but a different feel.
    Lately my Stingray doesn't feel right. It has terrific tone but feels too light and punchy..?
    I use it as a backup/alternative to my Jazz bass which is my #1 gig/record/play bass.

Lakland Skylines? Maybe?

Any help would be really helpful.

Thank you.

2. How much are you asking for the stingray/what color is it

3. Well, you can go for the G&L 1505....it's got a nice powerful humbucker and I believe its got nice a better tone and the feel is really good.

Or you can go for the L2500...it's got 2 humbuckers and it can get so many sounds out of it, it's very versatile, and I think it's got a better feel than a stingray.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ibanez ATK. Stingray with more tones. the greatest bass ever made(imho ;) ). you havent heard punch till you play a ATK.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The L-1505 will give you a sound closer to the stingray, but it will be more agressive. Its pickup is in the same position as the rays, but is a G&L MFD humbucker. Its also a bit more veristile, and has a passive mode which is really useful.

The L-2500 (my main bass) is a killer bass that can get a tone similar to he stingray, but not as close as the 1500. It is extreemely versitile, agressive, and all around great.

Peace
    Nick

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just sold my Ray. I have this coming in on Tuesday to replace it. You said the Ray is too light and punchy. Then you don't want a Lakland. The Lakland should be lighter, punchier, and deeper sounding. Maybe you should sell your Ray and get another Jazz bass.

[​IMG]

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    And here is a pic from someone else. As best as I can remember, he said that these two bass together are all you'll ever need.

[​IMG]

8. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks for the insight on the Lakland James, Iv'e never played them.I have been seriously been thinking about another J-bass but I have 2 now and recently sold another. I want my main backup bass to be similar enough for backup sakes but different enough to make it worthwhile even having.
    My #1 Jazz bass has a custom 3-band EQ and an Active/passive switch so it gets alot of cool midrangy/deep tones. The G&L's look like a cool option but I don't have any experiance with them except on the bench.

In all honesty I want another bass I feel compelled to play, another bass that feels like home.

9. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    yeah , a sterling?

10. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    lakland basses are stark and have a trite personallity.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh lord,,, not YOU again,,,it can't be...it just can't.....PD? please...please...

If it's not.

Then cool, thats YOUR opinion. ......

*Polly gets afraid,,,, huddles in a corner....*

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You just need to hit a bunch of stores and check different stuff out.

Nobody else can tell you what your home-feeling bass is.

For me, it's a combination of neck profile, string tension and spacing, weight/balance, versatility, and tone. [Closest I've found to that so far is Lakland 55-94 or 55-02 w/bart's, but there are a lot of basses I have not played yet.]

13. I've never played one, but you might want to try a Modulus Flea bass. They have similarly placed pickups (or at leats some models do) and would definitely provide a much different feel than the SR because of the graphite (is it graphite, or some other type of synthetic material?) neck.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    There have been a lot of mixed reviews on the modulus flea basses, mostly negative from what I have seen. I tried one out at a Mars music about a year ago, 5 string version, with the Bartolini p/u. I honestly did not like this bass. The tones from the bart were okay, but to my ears sounded nothing like the stingray tone I was expecting, I wasn't impressed. Recently, I traded my Stingray 5 for an older mod fb5, with the lane poor pickup. Granted the mars bass I played had some old dead strings, and this one came with a new set of DR lowriders, but this one blows away the bart model I had, along with the stingray 5's I have owned. This one gets a stingray on steroids tone! Probably a bit closer sounding to a G&L2500, but this one has some nuts. Best feeling, playing, and sounding bass I have owned. Word of caution though, this bass is BRIGHT, even unplugged. I personally like this, and it probably has a lot to do with my extreme liking of it. This bass is also extremely light for what it is, lighter than my ray 5's I have owned. Not for everyone, but I sure like it! It also made me a DR strings customer!

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another vote for a g&l - i really dig the 2500, personally i think the ones that i've played out-stingray all the stingrays that i've played.

16. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    (blushing) i guess i should stop running my mouth? i'm a little over opionated. please try to forgive that. years of trial and error give me a BIG MOUTH! and i should try to curve that. again i love bass guitar equip and would spend all day talking about it. respectfully.:D

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm curious, how can a bass have a trite personality? :)

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    you forgot the stark part.... how can they be stark?

My 55-01 and my JO5 Skylines can be described in many ways... stark and trite? don't think so...

Bonafide, try the skylines... I love them as a change back and forth from my j basses...

P@