Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone tab this for me?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by waxlabltabler, Sep 30, 2002.

1. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't know whether I have all the notes right on the first and I don't know any of the second two. I can't even walk yet.

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    why do you need this tabbed? Is this for an audition?

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay - I'm feeling generous... here's the first two bars:

G---|-------------|--------------|
    D---|---------8---|--------------|
    A---|------8----6_|6---4---3-----|
    E-5-|6--r---------|------------1-|

A Bb F Bb Eb(tie)Eb Db C F

I can't figure out the numbers / symbols written in above the music but a lot of them look wrong - if the first one means 'E string at the 4th fret', that gives an Ab... but the natural sign in front of the note means you should be playing an A natural - I've plumped for the 5th fret of the A string.

Since you've got the music, why not tab it out yourself. Start off writing down the note names, then check that you apply the sharps or flats as given by the key signature (so, in this case, A B F B E becomes Ab Bb F Bb Eb) and then adjust for any changes shown on the score (which gets us to A Bb F Bb Eb).

If you need to, you can then tab this out, figuring out which position to use for each note by looking at how you're going to make the transition from what comes before to what comes after.

However, since you've got the music, I'd advocate trying to learn to read straight off that - tab is best when you can't find the music but you want to download some help off the Internet.

Wulf

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Exactly - are we supposed to do somebody's homework? As Wulf says, you will get more from attempting to read the music - which is probably what was intended when you were given this!!

The scanned sheet is obviously an exercise intended to help improve you as a bass player/musician - if somebody else does it for you, then you get no benefit!! :rolleyes:

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK

bar 1

-------------------------------
    -------8 7 8 7tie7 8 8 7 7 3----
    --6----------------------------

bar 2

3 4 7 8 --------
    --4 4 4 4 ----------------------

bar 3

--1----1------------------------
    ----------------------3--2------
    -----3----4 5 7 7--------------
    ---------------6---6------------

bar 4

---------------------------------
    ---------------------------2 3 ---
    -----------------------3 4--------
    --4 4 4 4 -----------------------

bar 5

--1--------------------------------
    ------------------2----------------
    -------3 3 4 5 -------3-------------
    -------------------------1 2 3-----

bar 6

-------------------------------------
    ------------------------------2 3---
    -----------------------3---4----------
    --4 4 4 4 ---------------------------

I think that's it. I suggest that you rewrite these tabs under the staves and use the standard notation for timing. I have a handwritten copy in front of me but the scanner's down.

I'm not a monster reader so some of the incidental notes may be wrong. Also you may disagree on the positions. I dont have a bass to hand so I think the positions work.

This should give you are start

On a personal note if someone gives you std notation try to use it. On iffy keys (lots of flats) I write out the notes underneath. This could be considered as cheating but I've only been reading for two weeks and already played two pieces from music in church.

Tip marrying bass clef and bass guitar (bottom line G)

lines (E) GBDFA (C E)
    space (F)ACEG(BDF)

can you see the relationship between the EveryGoodBoyDeservesFootball and FACE teaching aids (treble clef) we were taught at school?

6. If it's the top one you're trying to do, it shouldn't be too hard to learn to read. It doesn't require very much shifting at all.

7. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    thank you all for your help. (not being sarcastic)