Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone tell me if I'm right - attempt at transcribing!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tifa, Apr 27, 2005.

1. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Well I've been playing for nearly 3 weeks now, and I love it! Although it can be very frustrating!

So I'm trying to learn a few simple songs by ear and see if I can determine the root, etc. I've been listening to Nirvana Unplugged and decided to try their cover of 'Where did you Sleep Last Night', as it's pretty slow and easy to hear.

Now I think i have figured out the key, but I need to know if I'm right! If anyone knows, your input will be much appreciated :)

I think it is in the key of Eb major. I think the basic pattern for the first line goes:

Eb - Bb - Ab - G - Ab - Bb - Ab - G - Ab - Eb

If I'm even half right, I'll be so happy :hyper: I can't seem to find it on the net so I thought I'd see if anyone here knew....

(I wasn't sure what forum to put this in - sorry mods! :)

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
  3. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK

That's what I'm thinking - tabs seem a bit too 'play by numbers'! I'm going to try and not rely on them too much.

I can't seem to open the file - how do I view a gp3 format?

Edit: it's ok, am downloading the demo of Guitar Pro :)

4. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Thanks John!

I WAS (almost) RIGHT! :hyper: :hyper:

Its such a good feeling of satisfaction when you figure something out for yourself.....

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You are welcome, Tifa :)

BTW, you will always be ALMOST right. Music transcription is far from exact. Different ears hear different things. There is always the question of intricatley do you want to transcribe a song ? At some point, the nuances become irrelevant.

6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Yeah, I started to realise that as I was trying to do it, there were a few parts where it seemed like 2 or 3 things would fit. And I suppose interpreting the song a slightly different way makes it more interesting :)

I'm just happy I got the basic root and feel of the line!

Now I need to get my rhythm down - wheres that metronome? :)

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    A metronome or some kind of rhythm machine is essential. We all have "internal time clocks" I'm not talking about the thing that tells you when it's time to go to sleep, I mean you ability to play in time. Like most things in life, the more you work at developing it, the more accurate you are going to get and the more capable you will become at playing more intricate grooves...

When you start playing music with other people you will have to start dealing with their internal clocks...some will have better clocks than you, some will have worse (and some will be in different time zones all together !)