Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can someone tell me the difference between these necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 14, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Whats the difference between a J, P, and Tele bass neck?

All I know is there is a difference in nut size between the J and P.

2. The P-bass neck is wider at the nut, usually 1-11/16" or 1-3/4". The J-bass is 1-1/2" at the nut. Some J-bass necks also have binding around the fretboard, and block inlays. The Tele bass neck is pretty much the same as a P-bass, except that it has a different shape to the headstock, like the Telecaster guitar and the original early-50's P-bass.

Mike

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Besides a different headstock, the heel on a Tele neck is not rounded like on the Jazz and Precision.

4. ?

I'm not sure what you mean, since they can all fit into exactly the same neck pockets, as far as I know.

Mike

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The very end of the Tele neck is straight across, not rounded. Here are two pictures from Guitar ReRanch, a Tele and a Precision, that illustrate what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Interesting--I'd never noticed that before! Actually, the first wave of Telecaster basses in the late 60's (like the one in your photo) were intended to be reproductions of the orginal Precisions. Going back and looking at a couple of photos of early 50's Precisions, and even of the "Sting" signature remake, I see that they also have the more squared off neck end.

On the other hand, if you go to Warmoth and order a Tele bass neck, you'll get the Tele headstock, but I'm pretty sure the heel will be the same as their P- and J- necks.

I wonder how far off the heels really are in shape, since I know Billy Sheehan (and probably others) put a Tele bass neck on his Precision.

Mike

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Warmoth necks have an extra fret (21 frets)which is really only a fingerboard extension.

[​IMG]

This is from Warmoth:

"With the exception of some of the Tele head basses, all the Fender basses have a standard rounded heel (as shown below). Some Tele® head models feature squared heels, Warmoth does not offer squared heel bass necks".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, from this statement I gather that not all Teles have the squared heels, and that could explain Billy Sheehan's bass.

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    As far as I know all real Fender Tele Basses and pre-'57 P-Basses have squared heels. Perhaps Billy modified the pocket on his body (it would only show if you switched back to a round heel and didn't use a pickguard) or he's got one of our necks!

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Modern P necks are 1 5/8 " wide at the nut - Pretty comfy.