Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can someone tell me what i just did?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott D, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i was on the phone, and my essex was laying on the chair.... like the neck was where my legs would be. and i sat down, and i didn't put much pressure on it, but the bridge was wedged under some funrinture, so i put alot of pressure on the neck, and then my strings went limp. it looks like there is a backbow. i was loosening the truss rod, and that helped some ( i think ) but i can still bend the headstock a little bit, and the strings are way too low. also, by the frets, there are little cracks that run purpendicular (on the side facing me). what did i do? did i break a truss rod? i looked for cracks and stuff on the actual neck, and didn't see anything. is my neck f*cked?

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I don't quite understand what you are saying, do you have any pictures?

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    no. heres the jist of it. i sat on my neck, and it bent i believe. i think i broke/bend the trussrod, because i can bend the headstock and change the action. like i ben it back, strings get tight, and low bend forward, loose, high. i can bend it fairly easily. i've been messing with the rod, seeing if i can get anything out of it, and it doesn't look like it. there are cracks along where the fingerboard joins the neck like a little bit above that joint piont. i'm also hearing rattles on certain notes up by the nut.

4. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I'd say you caused the wood around your truss to break, although to tell the truth i know im no luther. But what it sounds like is that you bent your neck, against the strait rod, snapping the wood inside and therefore allowing the rod to slip around in the neck, basically making it useless. But thats just a unprofessional, uncognitve guess from one who admittedly is no expert in the field.:meh:

5. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Depending on the type of rod, you might have damaged it, but more likely you broke enough wood in the neck and separated the neck/fretboard joint... you have no more mechanical integrity there. But it's hard to second guess these thing slong distance... You need to get it to a repair guy who can see & hold it in his hands & tell you how bad it is.

Dave P.

6. And I was thinking of buying that from yuo...;)

Sorry to hear what happened.

Good luck

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Sounds like you broke/damaged the neck and/or bridge...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That sucks, but my guess would be you broke some wood somewhere.