1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can someone tell me why.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s_mcsleazy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. a 4x10 with a 1x15 ISNT advisable because ive heard so meny people saying that and quite frankly id like to know why because im looking for another cab to go with my 1x15

would i be better off with a 2x10?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
  3. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Because 1x15s are more equal to 2x10s in terms of usable output, so yes, before the pro's get here, I'll tell ya to get a 2x10 instead.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another 1x15 would be better, in my book.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The rule is, if you liek the sound of the 15, get nother the same, if you don't like it, replace it entirely.

6. so what you lot are saying is
    a. buy another 1x15
    b. buy a 2x10
    c. dont buy a 4x10

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Ya basically, in that order.

8. ok but i dont think my back could handle trying to get another 1x15 cab home on the bus

9. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Then you probably couldn't handle another 4x10 :p

10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Spend the money on neo loading the one you have.

11. nah neo cabs in the uk are VERRY expencive

12. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    We have a very excellent neo cab maker here in the UK in the form of Barefaced that isn't unreasonably priced, but I was thinking more doing some maths and seeing if dropping in a Kappalite 3015 into your box would sort you out. Not gonna be any more expensive than a 4x10. What 15 do you have? They agree pretty well with the bigger ported 15" cabs.

13. ashdown 1x15 im not a hundrend percent sure on the model *runs down stairs to check* MAG 115 DEEP

almost sounds like a adult movie

14. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If it is the little sealed one, that is kind of rectangular, that won't agree, the bigger one that is rear ported, might agree pretty well up until it gets enough juice to make the ports chuff. The square rear ported one might be an ABM though.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I used to use that cab with the MAG 410 DEEP cab on top (and flipped, too). To me, during a double blind test of hooking/unhooking the 1x15 while using the 4x10, there was nothing good added by the 1x15, and depending on which pedals I was using, even subtractive at points.
    If you like it dude, just rock the heck out of it. Sure there's "reasons" it might not be ideal or even beneficial, or do what you think it should do, but go for it. :)
    If you're curious for your own self, just have someone behind your stack while you play around and see if you like it more, less or the same with the 1x15 engaged/disengaged.

16. yup its sealed and it is the tangluar cab (as my friend puts it)

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Basically, 2 identical cabs are best, but in the case of these smaller cabs, a 15 paired with a similarly designed 210 can also be good, (ie: 2 sealed cabs/2 ported cabs). The 410/15 is mismatched from the start, with the 410 overpowering the 15 to the point that there IS NO point in it being there. It struggles to be heard over the 410, and is in danger of being hurt, bady. As in needing intensive care at the local amp hospital. Sad.