1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can something cause volume to increase and the low to basically shoot through the roo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twenty2AcaciaAv, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    f?

I just got done with band practice today. Something I notice was that while my setting have not been changed on the bass, amp, or peddles, the volume seemed to greatly increase and the tone doesn't sound as good do to the low end going even higher as well. Can someone cause this to happen?

2. CORBS

CORBS Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Could be anything. Your cord could have a bad connection, the amp could be going bad, the input on your bass could have a bad connection, your bass' battery (if it is active) could be going dead. Your pedal's batteries could be going dead or the ac plugs could have been partially knocked out or bumped, or the pedals are going bad. Have you tried the bass with another amp?

Also, try going straight in to the amp, and bypass the pedals entirely, and see if it keeps happening. That sound can happenen to me when I get a cord stuck underneath my white Dunlop bass wah's rocker pedal. It keeps the wah engaged on the fat end of the sweep.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Betcha anything you're wrong that the settings didn't get changed. All it takes is one knob to get bumped accidentally.

4. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    I've checked my setttings. I even have them written down.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Then there's some connection, digital program, or other user-interface item that got changed. All of the possibilities suggested by CORBS would result in either distortion, loss of volume, or signal cutting out altogether--they would not result in an increase in volume, or a boost of the lows. There are no parts-failures I can think of that would cause the results you described; it's got to be something in the settings or connections.

CORBS is right though that you need to start eliminating variables. Remove pedals, swap cables, etc. one by one until you discover where the problem is. If the problem's still there when you just run bass to amp with one cable, then it's got to be the bass or the amp.

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If it was only happening on a particular note or notes, it could be an issue with sound wave reflection multiplying your volume - try moving your speaker around and see if you can find a place in the room where it doesn't happen.

Could also be feedback I suppose but that would be obvious.

7. Sometimes a poor connection in an amp or preamp can do this to you, I've been there. For example, if the Bass control pot has a bad solder joint connecting it to the board (been there) the connection can suddenly 'make', increasing bass, because I had it boosted attempting to compensate for the bad connection I didn't know existed. But it could be anything. Start by removing all non essential pedals, cables etc and see if it goes away. If it does, start adding things back until it returns.

8. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Been there done that;-) Any tech knows that you first check stuff like that and use comparisons wit known goods.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    So what did you find?

10. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Nothing yet. I haven't had time to swap out basses (went to bed right after practice). But I know it's not either ofthe cords or pedals.

11. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    I tihnk it's the bass itself (Schecter Stilletto Custom). I tried it in two different amps and in both of them the low seems a lot higher as well as the volume (likely to the low being really high). Of course lowing the low end on the active equilizer helps (of course) but the point is that I shouldn't have to make changes to it as I never had to before.

12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    the owls are not what they seem .

13. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    I suspect it's one of the pick-ups in the bass. It's not the amp itself, as far as I can tell.

14. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Are you sure it's not just feedback? The pickup(s) can pick up the sound coming from your amp and then turn it into feedback. Could happen on any frequency, so definitely could happen at some area of low notes.

15. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    I did the bass comparison on two sperate amps. Plus even thoguh this has just started happening, the amp I first noticed it on has been in the same spot since November.

16. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Okay, I have to say that the above comment is brilliant :p

17. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Now I'm wondering if it is indeed some kind of outside interference because it's doing something that it's done before when I use the usual amp. Sometimes it's louder and sometimes it's not-so-loud. However, no distortion or anytihng like that.

18. Sounds like a bad Bass pot on the bass. Or something is hinky in the preamp.

19. In my experience, pickup feedback will be in the form of a high-pitched squeal.