Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can strings be damaged by prolonged heat?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by flat five, Nov 24, 2004.

1. flat five

flat five

Sep 1, 2004
    I recently found a brand new set of Spirocore Weichs which I had somehow carelessly allowed to fall under the seat of my car and they've been missing since about the middle of July. It was a spare set and I was travelling. Does anyone have an opinion about whether and how this might have affected these strings? This was mostly south of NYC, so they probably got pretty hot every day.
    I have one other question - Is there a "shelf life" for new strings, so an unused set that is a couple of years old is maybe not as good or "fresh" as one that just arrived in the mail yesterday?
    Thanks for any information, and if I get bad news I promise I won't try to sell them here - I'll toss them in the trash instead.

2. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Sorry to have kept you waiting; I didn't see this post.

The good news is: As long as there's no visible corrosion, etc., those strings are probably still good.

Gut strings would be long gone, of course but these are steel, chrome and synthetic so there's a good chance they're ok.

Shelf-life is typically measured in years but this is under optimal conditions which canot boast. They are designed to take abuse, however; especially since I've personally met Spirocore players who have had a working set on their bass for a decade or more!