Can termites attack basses (the wood)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Go to the pet store and get an anteater? I think they eat termites.

Maybe there's some sort of varnish stuff you can put on the bass...
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    LMAO!! :D
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i hear the termites get pretty large in trytofindmehahaha U.S.A
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    How do you treat your gear that you're worried about termites?
  5. I knew it would be a silly question... but I felt like asking just in CASE. :meh: :p :bag:

Nah, some termites on the doors... made me wonder I guess... so the necks do come treated, I assume...
  6. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Wow I never thought about termites eating my bass before now you have me thinking.
  7. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I think if you've got termites in your house then protecting your bass collection should probably be second place to protecting YOUR HOUSE.
  8. Well, don't mess around. IF in doubt, call Terminix. Must be cheaper to protect just a bass instead of the whole house. Drill a few test holes, spray chemicals in the bass, problem solved.

Or you might want to look for termite damage to the bass. Also take off the pickguard in case they snuck in through the jack. As far as I know, termites haven't perfected teleportation technology. So they would have to either sneak in through the jack or tunnel in through the wood.

Whatever you do, don't listen to that guy talking about safeguarding your house. If you make the house off limits to the termites, they'll go after your bass. Use your house for bait, that'll keep them away from the bass. :D

9. LOL!!!
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Termites instinctively go for damp and/or rotting wood. If your bass is finished and dry, there shouldn't be much to worry about. There's better stuff for the termites to feast on in your house than your bass.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Termintes tend not to like finished wood either. House paint is one thing, clear coated laquer bass pain isn't tasty :)
  12. Only: Down here (PR) we live in concrete houses, not wooden ones like in the States. ;)

Anyway, I live in an apartment. :D
  13. ... an apartment which I rent, NOT OWN... :eek: :D

F**k the apartment, 'ts not mine... :p
  14. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS

I laughed so hard when I read this.
  15. Fun termite trivia...

The most popular termite treatment involves bait traps set every so many feet around the house. The termites are drawn there, eat the poison, and end of problem. The poison is confined to the little bait traps, so you're not spraying hazardous chemicals all around the house. It doesn't seep into the groundwater, etc.

SO the question is: How much of that chemical is produced yearly? Tis is the most popular solution in the world, the market leader. How many gallons does it take to supply the entire world for 1 year?