Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can the Ashbory be safely bought sight unseen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gus Autine, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I know the conventional (and wise) wisdom that one should always play a bass before buying it, but does this also apply to the Ashbory? There don't seem to be any around to try, and I wonder whether the fact that it uses gummy bear (silicone rubber) stings, and a piezo pickup, and is fretless, makes them more consistent from instrument to instrument than mass produced bass guitars.

Any thoughts or experiences, good or bad?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No. :(
    Actually the opposite, since the rubber strings present more variability in the production process, and I doubt that they are all individually tested...
    Woodwork will be just as consistant as any other bass.
    Electronics...if it is made by Ashworth, it will be great, but I wonder...who is actually producing these.

So - if you need to buy online, make sure to have a safe (cheap) return option. As for any other instrument...

3. elan_virpul

elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    i played one at a local music store and the strings felt like loose rubber bands, plus it's very tiny.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You have to be prepared to concentrate. The scale is short and the strings are soft, so you can't just bang on it like a fretted Precision. It must be played with a restrained, gentle touch. You're not gonna be jumping around the stage when you are playing this thing.

But I gotta say, it's fun to play. It does have that great big sound. And I'm proud of myself after I've pulled off playing a whole song with it.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I got my Ashbory sight unseen and I love it. I will tell you that it takes a long time for the strings to stretch out and stay in tune, but once they do it is really cool. I wouldn't use the Ashbory as your primary bass, but it is fun for the occasional song and the sound from it is huge (deep and boomy....I can get an almost upright sound from it). It does take a lot of practice to learn to play, plus I still have some difficulty with the small fretboard length (especially if i switch back and forth between it and my other basses) and it doesn't sound very good above about the 9th fret.

[​IMG]

-KB

6. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    The Ashbory takes as much skill and concentration to play as any other instrument. However, it is a very different instrument which happens to be voiced in the same register as the electric and upright bass. It's not for the faint of heart or the ham-fisted or the lazy of ear. It really takes finesse to play well.

I'm thinking of using it exclusively once I learn all it's nuances.

I've bought 2 DeArmond Ashborys sight unseen and they were identical execpt for the color.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I am waiting, (with baited breath), for the delivery of my first Ashbory. I'm pretty excited about it and intend to use it for at least a couple of songs on a March 10th gig. Buying it sight unseen, but there is a decent return policy, though unless the thing is hurt in shipping, I can't see myself returning it. As for the strings, I saw a site that says to stretch them to approximately twice their length before putting them on. Has anyone tried that?

I feel like a kid at Christmas...

-robert

8. The ashbory bass is one mean little groove machine.The secret is all in the baby powder.
    I heavily coat the fretboard and strings with it,
    the rubber strings shine with no sweat! On tape the bass is thunderous.With eq it really can sound like an upright.
    I stretched the strings on my as much as i could.It stays in tune pretty well.
    Definetly worth checking out!

9. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Since virtually every dealer has a liberal return policy, what's the big deal. Plus, and I know this is relative, it's only a $300 bass. I got mine (red) new from MF for $249 and really like it. As others have stated, it's definitely different. KB, what the hell are you doin' down on the 9th fret :) Jeez, I rarely venture past the 5th. Course I'm a baby. Hey, you talcum using guys; what do you do about keeping the talc off of your other basses when you're switching back and forth? Can't wash hands between songs. All in all; buy it. You'll love it.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would definitly try one out. I did & I did'nt like it at all. I'm not saying that you won't, but if you buy one online or through a catalog, you have to pay to ship it to you & ship it back. Probably an extra $30-50 for nothing. Also, if you see one in a store, you can say, "Look, Musicand Friend has it for $XXX. You have to beat that price." :)

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Actually, this is about my only complaint with this bass. I have a little clear plastic dish with a screw-on lid (I think it used to be a lip-gloss container) that I keep on the counter in front of me when I play. I do have to wipe my fingers after the Ashbory. When I pck it back up, I have to re-dip my fingers. But you know what? It is NOT keeping me from taking it to the gig!

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I tried 2 different ashborys-a black one & a moon blue one-they both felt the same so i went to my fav. dealer of FMIC products & asked them to match MFs price & received it a few weeks later. This bass a place in music-not that of an electric bass nor that of an upright-great for mock-uprightish stuff & for slower stuff IMO. Thats all